DOME jar $500.00???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Humabdos

Reaction score
Greenville Texas The Blackest land whitest people
I picked this up at an estate sale today for $5.
Is it worth anything? It has a smooth base Says DOME but it is over the top of a goasted Perfection.
Glen

I just found this in the Red book #9 #798 $500. +!!!!
Could this be true?[:D]

Om32933.jpg

Attachments

• Om32933.jpg
    Om32933.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 111

flasherr

Reaction score
RE: DOME jar 1/2 gal

I don't know anything about your jar but I do like that hires mug in the back ground. Great picture is it an old one or a new one
Brian

Humabdos

Reaction score
RE: DOME jar 1/2 gal

I grabbed that faster than greased lighting when I saw it! I thought it was an old one but after wiping the grime away I found it's a vintage repro. It's still listed at $55 in Peretti's. Not bad as I paid $2. for it.

I just found the Dome jar in Red Book #9 #798 QT $500+ with lid!! Mine is HG size.
Now to find a lid. Lid says Patented Aug 7 1883
Glen

woody

Reaction score
What you should do, Glen, is contact Doug Leybourne, Jr. and report that you have a half-gallon size Dome jar so that it can be listed in future editions of the Red Book of Fruit Jars.
As far as I can see you jar is worth $500.00 +

Good find.

woody

Reaction score
Your local bottle show or eBay is a good place to look for the correct lid to this jar.
Your jar may even be worth that without the correct lid.
I once sold a "crowleytown" mason jar on eBay without a lid and still got more than what it was listed for in the Red Book.
I dug it without a lid and sold it on eBay for $889.00. It was valued in the Red Book for $750.00 +

Fruit Jars

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. I have been collecting fruit jars since the 1970's. The Dome jar is a pretty rare jar and lid and metal clamp even more scarce. Most advanced collectors try to buy rare jars complete because it is so hard to find the original closures. Some of the odd closures did not work very well and the lids and metal got damaged or corroded from use. That is why some of these jars are so rare today. The Redbook is only a guide to what something is worth. These days unusual colors (amber, cobalt, dark greens) seem to be the most desireable. If anyone has a specific question you could always email me at "ike2000@aol.com".
Jerry

Humabdos

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jerry and welcome to the forum!
I took the Dome Jar to the Bottle show in southern Oregon this week end. I asked all the jar people about a lid. It looks like I will be very lucky to ever find one. I did find a guy that has a broken one but he didn't bring it. What do you think it would bring on Ebay without the lid?
Glen

Fruit Jars

Reaction score
EBay is very unpredictable. I would guess that it would go between $100-150. With the lid in good condition probably three times that. I have had mixed luck with EBay.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac