Changing crowns to blobs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Doug, Don't know about that perticular bottle but that is actually a blob style. it was used for all those weird lightening imatators. The wire bail and flip top stoppers.

appliedlips

Reaction score
'

Attachments

• 0A98F9D73B8643D6AECDB88FAE1A70D0.jpg
    0A98F9D73B8643D6AECDB88FAE1A70D0.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 176

appliedlips

Reaction score
Cap,

I agree the close is correct and original but have doubts on the blob.When I get a chance find a crappy applied crown top I will illustrate.This is the third different one I have noticed in the past couple months.Too much of a coincidence for me.Just doesn't look right.Some of the mineral waters have those short lips but are more rounded unlike the mini beer blob on this one.Of course this is just my opinion but I wouldn't buy it until I knew of another that was dug or out of a box of them.

LC

Reaction score
I looked at the bottle in the auction you referred to Doug, and I have to say it doesn't look added on to me, not saying it isn't. Then too, the top does look kind of short looking for the size of the bottle. Seems it should be somewhat taller than what it is. I have to admit that my eyes are not the best either. As for seeing more than one over a short period of time would make a person give some thought to it I guess, but then too, I have found bottles by the case before and sold them off one by one till they were gone. Actually, I still have a case of quart pyro labels in their original case, can't think of the name or what state they are from at the moment though. It is truely amazing what some people will do though, and I can atest to the statement you make concerning crooked people replacing tops on bottles. And speaking of which, here is a bottle I bought back in the seventies Doug. I will not say what I paid for it, but lets just say it makes me sick every time I think about it. I bought this bottle from a so called reputable dealer in this area. I bought it without even looking it over good. Unlike the bottle in the auction you make reference to, this bottle is so obvious that the top had been replaced, that I feel pretty stupid to even share this with the forum. But if it will make other newbies be aware to what they can get stuck with, then its worth my embarrassment. All I had to do was look down the neck or stick my finger into the neck, I would have seen and as well could have felt the top had been replaced. But being excited finding this bottle for sale, and me not having a cobalt soda had me cranked up, and I let the excitement of the so called find keep me from looking the blasted thing over as I should have. The dealer was a low life, but I blame myself more for not closely observing what I was intending to buy. Anytime one is looking at a bottle with the intention of buying it, make sure to ask questions, and make darn sure you look at it sideways, crooked, upside down, and every other angle before making a decision to buy it. Might save you a lot of grief in the long run.

D0654ABC8297465A84E475702C72CE6C.jpg

Attachments

• D0654ABC8297465A84E475702C72CE6C.jpg
    D0654ABC8297465A84E475702C72CE6C.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 176

appliedlips

Reaction score
I am not sure either,but the other bottles were entirely different with the same "odd looking top".One of them was obvious but I didn't pay much attention.I just can't remember seeing any in this shape ever,and I look at every bottle I can.Don't be embarrassed about the replaced top we have made those mistakes.I bought a puce Greeley's during early admission at Mansfield a couple years ago that had a big fat chip polished out of the underside of the lip.I don't know how I missed it but I did.I had walked it outside to check the color and everything.I asked the dealer if it had any damage and he said no.There have been some Too bad on yours,that is one hell of a soda.Doug

tigue710

Reaction score
I don't know Doug, it wouldn't surprise me if it was but I would have to hold it in my hands to tell... I haven't ever seen a slug plate blob with a lip like that before...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum