Homemade Probe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Unless its a wood liner, then just pray and keep stabbing lol because if you probe from the side you wont feel walls just a change in the feel of the soil from a hard push to a ahhhhhhhh soft push when you hit the pit. Rick

pupman

Reaction score
Probing is a matter of feeling and listening.When you probe in the middle of the pit you shoulf feel and oftentimes hear what we call the crunchies. Generally you won't hear this sound as you probe through straight dirt .The crunch comes from going into the ash layers. We use a different probe than the one shown by Chris,we weld a large rough shaped bead on the end which has the function of cutting down on the "drag "as the probe is pushed in.,but more importantly this rough bead holds the ash(which you are watching for) quite wonderfully. When you've done this or before after hitting a pit rock you must definitly find out if it's "rock on rock". How many of us have thought we hit a pit rock only to find that it's just a stray rock and not the pit.As has been said before you must then try to find the outline of the pit. Stonliners here average 12 ft. but the shape can vary to the extreme. They are usually round here but can be any shape and very large.There have been pits found here that are 10 ft. wide by 20 ft. long and I assure you,they are outhouse pits! Then there are the shared pits which straddle both properties involving two permissions. I hope some of this helps and remember,conditions vary around the country.One thing I will tell you-probing is an art and all men are not created equal here and it can take years of probing to really get a good feel for it.But then, there is nothing like looking if you want to find somthing so get a probe,find a pit and learn as you go.Remember when it comes to outhouse digging-"The rules are that there are no rules"!!!! (Charlie Clark) Good luck,Kev

f1addict

Reaction score
Ok, next question. Who here has broken something with their probe that they wish they hadn't?

Around here, we don't really have many privies, although there are a few. One of which I intend to investigate. It's a small wood frame (maybe 5 feet by 5 feet). It appeared to serve a single room 19th century cabin.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
What ever works.....is what I say, make a probe or buy one (you like) and just do it.
Its not rocket science.its a rod with a handle that you stick in the ground its all most cave man like[8D]

I broke a dark teal Op summer tree once.[:'(] Rick

lexdigger

Reaction score
What I do is just start stabbing it into the ground. I'll usually go to where I think the pits will be and try there first and then systematically work my way around the yard from there. After you stick it in about a thousand times you'll get the feel for what the natural ground is like. Here we have clay, which is why I put the bead back from the tip. When Mike sent it to me the bead was on the very tip but it was too hard to get started so I altered it. However you make it you want it to have some type of bead on it or you'll wear yourself out trying to push it in and pull it out. Also the bead will bring up ash, lime and other residue. Some pits will be tight and you won't really feel them as much as you will see something on the tip. Others will feel like an air pocket and the probe will just about fall into it. We try to feel for crunchies, but not always. When you think you've got one, probe for the walls. Once you've found the walls you can tell if they are brick, stone, or wood by looking at your tip. Brick walls leave a red dust, stone walls leave a white or grey dust and wood walls will leave clay on the very tip of the rod. Black on the back of the bead is always a good sign. There really is no right or wrong way. Sometimes you'll find a pit with the first stick and other times you will never find it no matter how hard you look. It's got a little to do with experience and alot to do with luck! I've actually found pits on construction sites without even using a probe. I just went around digging small test holes till I saw privy dirt! Chris

lexdigger

Reaction score
No Doubt! LOL. It is a rough way to go, especially after you hit one to many rocks or bricks. I do have a pair of mechanix gloves made for high impact use. They have padded palms and it helps alot, but your hands are still sore the next day. You can also throw your back out if your not carefull!!! Chris

f1addict

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I've learned a lot, since prior to this thread, I thought the probes were used exclusively to locate the contents of a dump or privy and not necessarily the boundaries of them. A special thanks to Matt and Chris.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp