Any ideas on what this is?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jeffrew

Reaction score
Howdy! I think I've found a new favorite spot on the net! :) Anyways, my dad is a forester so he's always wandering around in the woods where most people haven't been in a while. So he is constantly finding interesting bottles among other things (he's got a 5 gallon bucket full of Native American arrow and spear heads!). He just came home with this bottle that he found stuck between the logs of an old log cabin he stumbled upon. It has bubbles and imperfections in the glass that were obviously there when it was made. Also, the seam on the side doesn't go up the neck and lip. On the front, it has a raised outline of a star, with the letters S T A R in four of the points of the star. Here's a pic, the flash makes it easier to see the raised lettering. I'd appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks!
~Jeff

Ki17925.jpg

Attachments

• Ki17925.jpg
    Ki17925.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 94

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
I am going to say late 1800's to early 1900's whiskey bottle. Just a guess though.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
im going to say whiskey flask from the 1870's. that should be an easy one to look up in the books. i will check for value later when i get off work. nice find!!

jeffrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! The only embossing is the star on the front, and it is rather weak; but, it's not hard to see at all in person. The bottom isn't smooth, it's got a circular depression about the size of a quarter. I'm not sure yet of the meaning of pontiled; but, I'm slowly educating myself. My camera batteries are charging right now so I can't take any more photos; but, here's one I took earlier that gives you a better view of the bottom through the bottle. Will post more photos later if you want me to. Thanks again!
~Jeff

Pn36815.jpg

Picture cropped - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Pn36815.jpg
    Pn36815.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 82

John Sudul

Reaction score
A FIVE GALLON BUCKET FULL OF ARROWHEADS!!!! Could you introduce me to your Dad? I need to hang out in the woods with him!!! Nice old collared flask. Where does the seam end at the top of the bottle? Are there lines extending out from the indent on the bottom of the bottle on each side vertical to one another? I think I have seen this type of flask with the star embossed for sale on e-bay.

jeffrew

Reaction score
On second thought, I think the bottom is "smooth" with a upwards circular indention. Commonly mistaken for a pontil mark (according to some quick research). And their are seams extending from the circular indention to the seams on the sides. Also, my dad and I are not sure whether the neck has seams or not now. The seams on the sides are raised and easily visible, but the neck has a slight vertical indention where a seam would be, but it's not easily visible and it more closely resembles a groove, rather than a raised "glass weld" (or whatever process a seam is created with). If I knew how these bottles were made, I might be able to say for sure what's what, but I'm still learning. :)
~Jeff

amblypygi

Reaction score
Nice find. The top looks applied (put on as a separate blob of glass rather than simply tooling the glass of the neck), and it's a "seam-side" rather than a "strap-side" flask. Both of these characteristics are more common in bottles from the 1870s than later, so I would agree with diggerjeff on this one. As for value, probably $5-10 right now; flasks like this were made in huge numbers and many have survived. It's a nice bottle though, and it's cool to think about it sitting there for 130 years waiting for your Dad to come along. I bet it could tell some stories.

Sean

jeffrew

Reaction score
The top definitely looks applied; and it's a roughly done job. It looks like a melted candle; I'm happy with it! I'd like to find out a little about it's history if I can, like who made the "Star" bottles, etc.
~Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp