Aside from bottles , What else do you collect ??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

splante

Reaction score
Re: RE: Aside from bottles , What else do you collect ??

Old 8mms films,one of my oldest is Charlie Chaplin,s silent film the gold rush it's on 4 reels from 1925

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score

splante said:
Old 8mms films,one of my oldest is Charlie Chaplin,s silent film the gold rush it's on 4 reels from 1925
Pretty interesting thing!

Plumbata

Reaction score

Uhh, I'm guessing that Case Knife was dropped by Paul Bunyan? Crazy huge! I've been adding to my Bronze-Age to Medieval metal artifact/weapon collection a lot this year, as I haven't found dig spots in Wyoming to satisfy my need to accumulate things. Here is a really great and rare piece, a late Medieval German "Wurfkreuz", or "throwing cross", used as a short-distance projectile (like an armor-piercing throwing-star) or a hand-to-hand melee weapon (this one was probably just a projectile). Apparently Hungarians also sometimes employed this weapon, and in their struggles against the Muslim Ottomans the symbolism of the cross would have been rather salient. Used infrequently between the early 1400s-early 1600s and very rare today. It weighs about 495 grams, and has a simple bronze inlay somewhat visible below my pinkie. Purchased from a collector in Germany who listed it incorrectly (most have no idea what these things are) for 167.50 shipped. The only sales record for a Wurfkreuz I could find was from 2005, where one sold for 1,170.00 at an antiquities auction house. Rare as heck.
11041026_10105460266159660_4788865235003608547_n.jpg
12000841_10105460265670640_1564179275149325508_o.jpg
Old picture:
11891157_10105460316369040_3025327871051766360_n.jpg

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score

Neat piece of history, but the idea of using a symbol of love to cause death is questionable. I wonder how many people that has killed/injured.

Plumbata

Reaction score

You can't apply soft liberal 21st century sensibilities to the brutal reality of life in past centuries. The Muslim invaders routinely brutalized their Christian enemies, and carried off literally millions of Europeans as slaves. The North African slaving pirates depopulated Mediterranean islands and even places as far north as Iceland many years before the Trans-Atlantic trade in black slaves began, and the Muslims have continued capturing Christian slaves through to this day. It was kill or be killed and let your culture and religion be annihilated by those who hate you, simple as that. I know what I'd do. That said, in all likelihood it hasn't killed anyone. I do have some items that almost certainly have though, I'll have to post them later.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score

You cannot make a relationship with God become human. It's Religion, but how real is it when it's become a man-made thing? Christians are supposed to be Christ-like. Some writers of the day would have known that. As for the priests and populace... Most Muslims treated slaves well; I had done a project on this recently looking and Christian slaves in the Ottoman empire. In many conquered areas, people were given religious freedom for a bit higher tax. Christians, on the other hand, imposed everything and slaughtered everyone. As for war, war is brutal by nature. There are few examples of 'gentle wars' out there, even among peaceful nations. But let's not get into a debate like that. Why hasn't it killed anyone? Was it never used?

CreekWalker

Reaction score

That's generally a case of push becomes a shove! We are nearly back to that point now. But in reality , the forces today are intimidating anti-civilization thuggery versus peaceful civilized society and normalcy. Many see things as grey and muddled, but it's really not.

Plumbata

Reaction score

Spirit Bear said:
Most Muslims treated slaves well; I had done a project on this recently looking and Christian slaves in the Ottoman empire. In many conquered areas, people were given religious freedom for a bit higher tax. Christians, on the other hand, imposed everything and slaughtered everyone.

You state that you'd rather avoid a debate on that which is fine, though it sounds as though you've taken the progressive ("liberal") brainwashing blue pill. No offense is intended; I was subjected to it as well and even regurgitated similar pseudo-intellectual progressive talking-points in my earlier years here, but after leaving University I managed to figure it out and with concerted effort unlearned the nonsense. I'd wager that you're intelligent enough to do the same someday, just keep an open mind and remember that someone out there considered the above quoted statement to be false, and for good reasons that you've yet to be exposed to. With experience and further autodidactic inquiry you may come to understand why. Anyway, I don't believe the Wurfkreuz killed anyone because it was more likely to wound the opponent, so they would be weakened and less likely to effectively defend themselves from a killing blow delivered by a more typical weapon. Here is a nice set of weapons excavated from a Celtic Warrior's grave in the Eastern Carpathian Basin. They were found in a cemetery associated with a fortified town sacked and burned by the Dacian king Burebista in 60-59BC, so almost certainly predate that. Given the nature of Celtic customs, the "ritual sacrifice" of the broadsword (called a "spatha" by the Romans when such barbarians were employed in their military) and spear by bending, and subsequent deposition in a grave suggests that the warrior was well-accomplished, and the blood of many fellow Celts was spilled upon the iron prior to the death of the individual that these belonged to.
983743_10105450732135920_4970081130180347522_n.jpg
11221646_10105450732400390_8322848124704706714_n.jpg
As is usual with such items, I paid far less than the market value. CreekWalker, you might enjoy this "right-wing propaganda" video depicting the horrible situation white Europeans are suffering at the hands of modern Muslim invaders: https://www.youtube.com/w...Fh6wDCdFHw&index=1

LC

Reaction score
Gee , where does one start lol . Fossils , cast iron trains , toys , advertising of all kinds , watch fobs , knives , pottery and the list goes on and on and on .

Attachments

• WELLER 1.jpg
    WELLER 1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 107

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi