Jules Hauel No.120 Chesnut St....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

leffertshook

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Here's a pot lid base that I dug a couple years in alexandria virginia . I did a little searching online and found this base dates somewhere between 1839-1851. I believe in 1851 Mr. Hauel moved to 170 Chestnut St where he opened a large place of business. I guess my question is, what is the "correct" lid for this base? I seem to recall a couple years ago I found some info, and narrowed it down to a couple different lids. One had a transfer of Ben Franklin, and the other a couple children on it? This is all from memory, so I could be way off here! Also interesting to note that I did a search on Google for Jules Hauel No.120 Chesnut St, and nothing came up. When the missing "T" in Chesnut is added, it comes up fine. The "T" is missing on the base.

Thanks for any help,
Richie[:)]

Hf97610.jpg

Attachments

• Hf97610.jpg
    Hf97610.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 139

Gidday

Reaction score
Numerous possibalities listed in the Jackson book on American Pot Lids. Jules Hauel was a prolific manufacturer and marked many of their bases this way. Some images of Jules Haul lids at the 120 chestnut address follow. The side color on the base always matched the lid so look at the the red examples initially. Several different wordings on the various bases also that match the lid help narrow down the field.

http://www.deantiques.com/PLG/USA.htm

http://www.deantiques.com/PLG/images/USA/USAlidscollection.jpg

leffertshook

Reaction score
Hi Gidday,

Thank you very much for the lead, appreciate it. I will take a look. Also, just out of curiosity, what price range are the Jules Hauel lids? If they are not too much, I might be able to find a mate for the base.

Thanks,
Richie[:)]

Gidday

Reaction score
Hello leffertshoot,

Collecting these its like anthing elso, you need to do your homework. Nice clean examples complete with base usually start quite cheaply then surpass a couple of $1000 or more for the rarer ones. Watch the established bottle auction sites for the best idea then of course ebay.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown