" burst lip " cologne

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
greetings all,

i am considering purchasing this dandy little cologne for display in my cabinet, but am concerned about the top. i don't have much experience with this " burst lip " description. seems kinda odd. did it have a piece of metal over the lip to dispense the contents? any input would be appreciated. thanx!!!

EECF67DE63314538AB87A71AC89BE57C.jpg

Attachments

• EECF67DE63314538AB87A71AC89BE57C.jpg
    EECF67DE63314538AB87A71AC89BE57C.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 53

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That bottle is open pontil. The reason for being so is for a lip treatment. Therefor I have to assume that is damage to the lip. It was probably flared and has all chipped away.

tigue710

Reaction score
cool... I used to have a bunch of burst lip inks, trade and sold em all now... I had some real nice sapphire ones, one was a tipper... I kinda liked that one..

What throws me on this bottle is how right before the lip terminates there is a bulbous build up, and then it flares into the "burst" very much like it was tooled at some point...

capsoda

Reaction score
Nope Lobesmiester, that is in fact correct. The bottles were sometime sealed with the content already inside. Viles were done that way in the states in the same lab that the injectable med was in. I will hold judgement on this bottle untill I can see a better pic of the lip treatment.

Hey Jim, Do you have a better pic of the mouth? Is it pontiled?

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
thanx to all for your input. i kinda thought English too. doesn't look like mangled flare lip to me, but who knows. this is the only other photo of this item i can get. thanx again. take care all.

Jim ( here in snowy eastern pennsy )

bearswede

Reaction score
Someone told me the ink was sealed in there like that and it was broken open by the consumer. Hard to believe, always though of that as a bit of a wives tale

Way I heard it was, those Victorian English inks were cranked out at the factory... To save time, they didn't "finish" the lip, just blew a thin bubble over the opening... Shipped them to the ink manufacturer... There the bubble was broken off, the bottles filled with ink and corked... Voila! A burst-lip ink remained to be discarded when empty... And, well... You know the REST of the story...

Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi