Privy help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

houseman

Reaction score
I went to a recently demolished house this weekend to look for a privy. The house is on a 1912 Sanborn map and it shows what appears to be an outhouse at the back of the lot, approximately 50 feet from the back door of the house. I probed around the yard but concentrated on that area. I found one spot in the whole yard where the probe went all the way in without hitting any obstructions. This was a small spot...move an inch in any direction and the probe wouldn't go down more than a foot. I dug a test hole and hit clay with large rocks about a foot down. I couldn't dig the rocks out by myself but I was able to probe between a couple of the rocks and the probe went all the way down (that one little spot again). I was probing to about five feet at that point and the probe tip only brought up more clay.
This appears to be the spot that shows the outhouse on the map but I couldn't do anything with it. Would any of you experienced privy diggers really try to dig out these rocks and see what's there or would you pass? Any advice? This was my first ever attempt at a privy dig so I was really just jumping into it blindly.

phil44

Reaction score
Dig down a little further and see if the probe breaks through the clay and stone- or the area gives breaks into loose. Probing for walls is always a good idea, knowing what type of privies have been dug in the area is good to know so you know what type of walls your looking for. Woodliner , brick or stone ..... If your having a hard time defining an area to dig a reason for this could be they didn't throw much in it.... Some diggers dig every hole they find others are selective. It doesn't take much space for a good bottle in a pontil hole. A turn of the century hole on the otherhand.

houseman

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I figure I'll try to go back this weekend and give it a shot. I may be able to get my brother to go along with me to help with the rocks! Unfortunately, I don't have a probe longer than 4', so that's what I've got to work with. I'll have to get down a few feet into the rocks to find out what's going on. I don't have any idea what other privies in the area are like...this is the first I've tried and I don't know anyone who has dug another in the area. I tried probing at an angle to find walls but the probe just can't find a way through the rocks, except in that one little, tiny spot. If I can get a couple of the big rocks out of the way I might have better luck.
I'll let you know what happens...

appliedlips

Reaction score
If the surrounding ground is not full of rocks.The fact that you are finding rocks is a good sign that it was a hole that has been filled in.The only way to learn is to dig them,you will get the hang of it.Good luck

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu