Van Vliet jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

houseman

Reaction score

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Houseman good article thanks for posting that
m16.gif
Digsws

glass man

Reaction score
GREAT ARTICLE!WISH I HAD ONE OF THE JARS,I NOW KNOW WHY THEY ARE SO POPULAR AND HARD TO FIND ,SINCE THEY WERE NOT MADE THAT LONG! HAVE PEOPLE DUG AT THE BURNED FACTORY JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY MIGHT FIND ,BESIDES MELTED STUFF OF COURSE?

Fruit Jars

Reaction score
houseman, What a great article. If you ever find a half pint I would be interested in getting it. I have a quart Van Vliet Improved and a pint Van Vliet Jar of 1881so a half pint would look great in my collection.
Jerry
916-204-6992

houseman

Reaction score
Glad you guys liked the article. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one of these on my own (a couple broken ones only!). An amber Van Vliet turned up in an estate sale last year. It went for big money. I think the guy who bought it flew in from California to get it. I can't afford to buy one so I'll keep digging! Jerry, I saw a half pint (I think) on ebay recently.
We can't dig the site of the glasshouse now. It was on a floodplain next to a creek that flooded in 1955. Half of Stroudsburg was demolished in the flood, so the Army Corps of Engineers built dykes along both sides of the creek for miles. Anything left from the glasshouse is under 50 feet of dirt and rocks!

I've always known the jars are rare, but I didn't ever know why until I read the article. I guess the fire explains it. I'll be keeping my eyes open around town!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado