"a cure being worse than the disease."

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

S.C. Warner

Reaction score
it happens out in Vegas, and it happens in Moline.
Hi Folks! You might like this story and maybe give me a clue or two. Picture below post. How much more is a bottle worth containing contents than an empty bottle? How much do you think this one would be worth? It is a Santal de Midy (1890's about 4 inches high) I'm really not sure where I got it. It has been sitting on shelf for several years. Has the original cork in it and full of round gelatin caps. So ok, for a couple (5) years I thought probably cod liver oil. I worked in a vitamin factory once. So anyway, mainly because of your web-site here and interest it kindled. I decided to do a web-search on it. This is a pretty ten sided applied top bottle, with nice embossing. But it isn't fish oil. One side (not shown in these pictures, someone has applied a write on label, like those used in laboratories) actually I was hoping the caps contained Morphine like in that under sea movie (the deep), but alas, this is what I found today:
“In the file were a series of letters she wrote to her husband shortly before leaving to Fargo for the divorce. The physical item [in the file we got] was two glass bottles of ‘Santal Midy’ from Paris, France. One bottle is still sealed shut, full of brown-colored pills. According the testimony of a physician in the depositions this is for the treatment of gonorrhea in women at the time,†Bye said." http://www.horizonlines.org/volume1/town/single.html

and then this:
"Santal de Midy was one of these unprofessional remedies. It came to Calgary from the Midy pharmacy in Paris via New York. In that tiny little bottle is a good example of a cure being worse than the disease. The ingredients have been likened to poison and mercury was the most prominent poison. The men suffered terribly from their treatments."
But really read the whole article as it is historical and of interest to us bottle collectors.
here is link: http://www.sharbean.ca/main/template.php?EntryID=460
I found the bottle listed on Ebay (sans poison) listed for $5.
(http://tinyurl.com/729s3)
How much do you think it would be worth with the 'medicine' and cork still in it? What ever was written on the lab label has been worn off. Sorry about fuzziness of the pictures, I wanted to get the clear amber of the pills in the left shot and the embossing of Santal de midy in right photo. I hope you find this story (info) interesting. (Btw, it would be pretty hard to get this cork out of the bottle because it is in pretty tight, still I will keep it up away from our little one.0 Thanks for reading and I hope this is in the right thread.
S.C.

Ay73498.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73498.jpg
    Ay73498.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 50

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hey SC.
Interesting story! Don't know how the contents would affect value-the contents would be considered hazardous material and cost a bomb to ship with any carrier that deals with the like.Your reference to the Deep reminds me of an interesting observation of my own.You may or may not know,the Deep was filmed here in Bermuda.The ship is/was The Constellation[i][/i], a popular diving wreck.I have a few of those morphine ampules,(as do most of the local diving fraternity![:D]) Over the years the clear liquid morphine has darkened and thickened so much it now looks like treacle,or hash oil.Reverted back to opium gum?Dunno.It only happened to the morf amps,too.[>:][sm=rolleyes.gif]
Weird! I'll see if I can dig them out of storage and post a pic sometime.

KAT

P.S.The Shipwreck Act 2002 now makes it illegal to remove ANY artifact from ANY local wreck,not that there's many of those amps still down there![:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado