Trying to find hometowns of two bottles...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

houseman

Reaction score
I recently found two nice Pa bottles and I'm trying to figure out exactly where they're from. I'm hoping someone here is familiar with them and can give me some info...

The first is a clear blob top, tooled top, about 8 inches tall. It is embossed in a round slugplate "CYRUS DONLEY / WILLIAMSTOWN / PA." There are a couple different Williamstowns in Pa.

The other is a deep aqua, applied top loop sealer embossed "R.W. BUDD / TROY, PA.". There are also a couple different Troys in Pa. This is a really nice bottle...11 1/4 inches tall with an extremely narrow neck and tiny hole in the blob. I didn't realize it was a loop sealer at first.

I love my Pa locals and would appreciate it if anyone knows where these two are from. I got them at an antique store for $2 and $3 respectively.
Thanks!

Jim

Reaction score
Hi Tim, The R.W. Budd bottle is from the Troy in Bradford County, PA. I have an R. W. Budd squat blob that also has the Baltimore loop seal. I haven't been able to find any info about the bottler himself, but his name is mentioned in an article from the Bradford county historical archives. The bottles seem to be pretty scarce, so I think you got a good deal on that one. ~Jim

houseman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jim! I was thinking Bradford County, as when I did a search for his name I ended up at a website about Bradford County. I couldn't actually find the name anywhere on the site though!
It's really a nice bottle so I'm glad to hear it's a scarcer one at that.
I know you collect Lewistown bottles...but do you also collect up in the Troy area?

Is anyone out there familiar with the Williamstown blob top?

Jim

Reaction score
I just happened to end up with the Budd bottle because I liked it. You don't see many loop sealed pony squats, and I got it for a pretty good deal from another forum member. Most of my sodas are all Lewistown, and I generally try not to buy non-local ones (they take up a lot of shelf space), but squats are the exception to that rule.

I think we may have been on the same website. The mentioning of R.W. Budd is hard to find, you really have to dig for it, but it is there. If I remember correctly the date was 1892 or 1893, and it mentioned a barn that Mr. Budd owned that had burned down. ~Jim

aridice53

Reaction score
Tim,
The 1880 Census for Williamstown, Dauphin Co. PA shows a Cyrus Donnelly, age 21, occupation: laborer in mine, living in the household of his father William.
There were 4 other Cyrus Donley (various spellings) 3 in Lebanon Co. and 1 in Allegheny Co.
Cyrus Donley, b.c1859 is still living in Dauphin Co. in 1910, but since it was a pay site (Ancestry) I couldn't see his occupation. But, I think he is your likeliest candidate.

Hope this helps!
Char

houseman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys!

Jim,
I collect like you do...most of my bottles are from a very defined area (mainly Monroe and Carbon Counties) but if I see something I like from outside that area I'll sometimes grab it. I think that was the same site we were on. I never saw the name, so I'm glad you have another Budd bottle!

Char,
GREAT info on Cyrus Donley! I guess I'm not very good at searching online to track down people. Perhaps I'll join that Ancestry site so I can do more research. I collect bottles from the area where I've spent most of my life, but I lived for a short time in Dauphin County so this one now has new meaning!
Thanks again!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky