American pot lid.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Dug this beauty the other day. It came from an early pontil pit. It was in 2 halves but I was able to glue it pretty successfully. I'm 99% certain that it's a U.S pot lid. I've not been able to track it down and feel that it may be a rare one. Anyone seen this before?

Ge94840.jpg

Attachments

• Ge94840.jpg
    Ge94840.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 156

Bluegrass

Reaction score
For those who are interested, it's actually an early Pratt piece from England.

John.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Is it me? Do I smell or something? It's either that or no one is interested in pot lids in the U.S. I guess I'll just keep replying to my own post and eventually become schizoid.
Here's a fun pot lid link for you John.
Thanks John.... I'll look it up right now.
Hey, John.... I've got the link set on American lids.
Cool, John; that's what I wanted to see. You sure know how to hit the spot.
Thanks Buddy. Keep digging.

John.

http://www.deantiques.com/PLG/USA.htm

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day John

Nice lid - haven't seen it before; certainly unusual with a Japanese Garden scene - bit of a variation on the generic garden scene lids that I have seen.

I see you have it listed at Deantiques, so that may assist with identification - it might be useful to post a message at one of the UK bottle forums as there may be collectors more familiar with the prattware/lids produced from England (Staffordshire, etc).

Without a brand name or label, it's difficult to determine its' origins - my guess is it was probably a generic Cold Cream produced by a Staffordshire Pottery for export to USA.

What clues do you have that it is an American lid??

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Hi there.... turns out it is an early British Prattware lid. I thought it might be a U.S. lid because of the flamboyant and exotic garden scene. However, similar examples are listed in Mortimer's Prattware book. I was told that this particular lid was only rumored to exist until mine popped out of the Kentucky clay. So as far as I know, it's the only example in this particular design/style/etc. Others have gold rings or no writing. I can tell you that it dates to the late forties or 1850 as that was the age of the pit we were digging.

Take care, John.

Gidday

Reaction score
Hi Bluegrass, very nice item. Shame is was broken in two. Thanks for posting!

kumtow

Reaction score
There are a couple of Australians on the UK forum, bottlediggingUK that are really into potlids and have a wealth of knowledge. User names are Prattpot and Trog??. Also quite a few Brit members that are into them as well. There is a link in the links and other sites section of this forum.

grimdigger1

Reaction score
We love potlids in the UK.. its one of our most popular collecting categories..
Nice lid you dug there Bluegrass ,looks an early one too..
if you ever need any advice on potlids we have many knowledgeable members on the Uk forum
link below !!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu