Is this a colonial Williamsburg repro

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

geordie

Reaction score
Got it, there is no bird swing what you can see is the washing line in the back garden.

geordie

Reaction score
Really dont mean to drag this post out but feel I must find the origins of this bottle. Here is a more commonly seen repro currently listed on http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320689906493&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT For sale is this beautiful reproduction bottle from the Colonial Williamsburg Restoration. This bottle is an extremely detailed and hand made reproduction of a 1770 John Greenhow Williamsburg bottle. Blenko made these bottles from 1936-66 and used pieces of original bottles to assure that they were as accurate as possible. After 1966 Royal Leerdam received the contract but used the same design. This bottle measures 8" tall and is in mint condition

geordie

Reaction score
Re: RE: Is this a colonial Williamsburg repro

Well after nearly seven years another one turns up not quite the same shape but the same seal and repro manufacturer still interested who and why they were made http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm...ame=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Attachments

• 4899F65D3CF14F2FA6530B52001F68AC.JPG
    4899F65D3CF14F2FA6530B52001F68AC.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 285

andy volkerts

Reaction score

If it was made by Colonial Williamsburg, it was made for tourists who could watch the bottles being blown in the glass factory in Colonial Williamsburg. It is a way to help support the historic presentation of American history that C W hosts at various sites in the park. there are blacksmiths, weavers, and I believe even a pottery shop and kiln, everybody dresses in colonial style clothing and its a living history lesson on early colonial life.......Hope this helps to answer where and why

andy volkerts

Reaction score

I believe the above post is accurate, I am sure someone will reply if it is not, or maybe even add more info........

andy volkerts

Reaction score

Colonial Williamsburg was created by Rockefeller for the federal govt as a park to promote American colonial History as it was created and lived......Google is great!!!!

anj2006

Reaction score
You are correct andy, it was there way of promoting the history of the collinies. Basically a history lesson.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Tennessee has a similar community of artisans at Pigeon Forge in the Smoky Mountains. Great post.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I have never seen as neatly a made seal as this one on a real shaft and globe bottle, it is too perfectly round and the edges are of the same dimension thruought the cir***ference of the seal, plus the lettering is to neatly made, it doesn't have the small crudities that a piece of glass this age should have, never mind that there is no base wear on this piece, as there should be. I am pretty sure that it is a modern repro, but do not know who made it. its a shame they aren't marked as such, as I feel that means an intent to deceive is apparent.........Andy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora