dr. j.hostetter's stomach bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mamafurr

Reaction score
hi all. i am new...however somewhat old. :) i am researching this bottle. i looked on ebay and see about 10. my camera just ran out of battery! the bottom says J. C. Co L. the glass dark amber, is foggy, lots of bubbles, and "rainbowy".
it has seams going up 2 corner sides. there is a circle around the "spout" about 2 1/2" down. is this where they stuck the top on? you can tell i am not educated with the proper bottle part descriptions!!!
also, i have a marble stuck in the top of the bottle about 1/2" down (my daughter 25 yrs. ago). any suggestions? should i just leave it.

NCdigger5

Reaction score
Hostetters are very common. Its one of the most common bottles known. Its not worth the effort to get the marble out.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.As Ryan said Hostetter's are fairly common but not all variants and they are an attractive bottle.I really like the crude early ones.As far as the marble I think I would just leave it because I would end up breaking the bottle trying to get it out.

glass man

Reaction score
GREEN HOSTETTERS ARE NOT SO COMMON. YEAH THE AMBER ONES ARE,BUT NOT ONE OF THE MOST COMMON BOTTLES,CALDWELLS,CALIFONIA FIG SYRUP,BROMO SELZER ,COME TO MIND. NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART AS... NC!

E

Reaction score
I gotta figure that Hostetter's was some tasty/potent stuff as it seems whenever I have found a dump with one, several are soon to follow. I dug one particular dump in Suffolk years ago that must of had 100 of 'em in it. I only kept a couple but my wiser brother carted off dozens. He has since used them as give-aways for friends and relatives = really makes their day to get such nice-looking shelf bottle.

Around Richmond "Chelf's Celery Caffiene Compound" seems to be to most ubiquitous bottles to me. Again, must have been highly addictive stuff as some family dumps have yielded hundreds of them, kinda sad when you think about it.

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
The marble if old may be worth more than the bottle so get a photo up of it please! It may be worth breaking the bottle to get the marble out.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I only found a small piece of a Hostetters in a dump never a whole one,or a half of one for that matter.So they are not common here.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora