Narcotic medicine label scammer on ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
If you want to see the evil side of Fleabay take a look at this auction ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/LAUDANUM-Antique-Cure-Medicine-Bottle-Opium-WOW-L-K_W0QQitemZ140255772442QQihZ004QQcategoryZ895QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The item is bit up to $100. I thought this label looked suspicious so I looked at the sellers previous auctions they won.
Found this one where you can see they bought the label and stuck it on a worthless bottle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150264550848#ebayphotohosting

Pretty sad I would say.

beendiggin

Reaction score
You are smart to catch that! How did you figure that out? Did you just have a suspicion and then research the sellers previous purchases ? Should that be reported to E- bay as fraud? Thanks for letting us know!

Wilkie

Reaction score
That really ticks me off. He has a 100% feedback score too. I emailed him myself and I also reported him to eBay. I hope they do something about it. I want to email the bidders too but I don't want to risk my account with eBay because they tell you not to do that.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
This has been reported, if you want to report it to ebay too thats fine. Please dont take other actions like contacting the seller or buyers, it just causes trouble and can mess up your own ebay access. I mostly posted this just to show people the kind of stuff you need to watch out for.

How did you figure that out?

Someone asked me for my opinion on the bottle. I thought it looked odd. The label doesnt fit the bottle style and it shows no aging. The label looked like the later pharmacy labels people are always selling on ebay. It was easy to look at what he bid on and see it since he didnt even wait till his old auctions cleared to resell it.
I consider any unembossed bottle with a paper label guilty until proven innocent[;)]

I have seen similar scams on ebay. I collect medicine trade cards and sometimes buy victorian era albums. I saw one guy that was buying old original blank albums and then gluing his cheaper cards in them to sell the albums at a large profit.

There are a number of deep packet buyers currently buying up any narcotic related bottles for museums and private collections. They dont seem to have a good knowledge of what is old and what is fake.

Wilkie

Reaction score
I see that ebay didn't do anything about it and the seller didn't update his page to reflect the deception. I contacted "him" and also reported to eBay. Have not heard from either. I'm really ticked about it and wish there was more I could do.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
At the risk of incurring the wrath of ebay I contacted the buyer and gave them the bad news. I cant just sit by and let people get away with this type of stuff. I gave ebay the chance to make it right, they failed. I hope the buyer doesnt take it the wrong way.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Gunther

Just a thought when you contact someone do you just tell them it is bad and can back it up?

And another thing do you invite them to the Forum to see what others are saying about the auction, just thinking that you have numbers behind you and that they don't have to hust take your word for it.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I would never just email someone and expect them to take my word for it. I hear crazy stuff all the time from ebay members. Statements of forgery should always be accompanied with proof since it is a serious matter.
I would not refer them to this forum, I dont make any recommedations as to what they should do , that's thier business. I just present them the evidence and allow them to decide what they want to do. For all I know they may already know its a fake and think its worth what they bid. My goal is to just try to make the scammers' job just a little harder.

Keep in mind any time someone in this hobby gets away with forgeries or other dirty dealings it diminishes the hobby for all of us. Just take a look at the Civil War relic market if you want to see what can happen.[:(]

glass man

Reaction score
THANKS FOR ALL THIS! REALLY TOOK GUTS/CARING TO INFORM THE BUYER! GOOD FOR YOU AND THAT IS GOOD FOR ALL OF US THAT ARE HONEST / CARE ABOUT THE HOBBY.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi