Jar and some bottles - burst-off blowpipe finish.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I would like someone to give me some insight to book references that will tell me some information on the concept of burst-off glass finishes on jars like; mustard, snuff, utility and preserve jars, fire grenades and some colognes and the Clyde Glass fire dowser bottles. I am familiar with how it is done but I would like to read up on the methods used in this process. I plan on including a review of what I can find - on my homepage: http://www.bottlemysteries.com

madpaddla

Reaction score
Good luck Red. Hopefully someone here can steer you in the right direction. Interesting topic though. Now I have to find a jar like that....too know what you folks are gonna talk about.[:D]
madpaddla

jfcutter

Reaction score
Hello Red...

cc6pack did steer you the right direction in that I do have a brief discussion of the blow-over (aka burst-off) finishing (which is really a lack of finishing to some degree) in bottle making on the "Finishes (Lips)" page of my Historic Bottle Website. http://www.sha.org/bottle/finishes.htm

One other note is that I have posted on the site an actual early 1900s film clip that shows the burst-off method of blowpipe removal! It is fantastic and available via links at several places throughout the website including on the page linked above. It is a link in the "burst-off" finish discussion entitled: Early 20th century mouth-blown bottle making film clip. (The previous is a hot link to the film clip also...at least on my computer...so just click it to see the clip.) The film clip was courtesy of a senior engineer at the Owens-Illinois Glass Co. I think it is just fantastic and shows the making of mouth-blown beer (I think) bottles with two blowers (gaffers) and one mold boy.

I have also taken a look at your website again (you contacted me some months ago) and would be pleased to add a link to your site on the Historic Bottle Website. Your discussion on cast iron bottle molds is intriquing...and the fact that you used to work at Thatcher! I will be in contact later when I do some revisions to the site.

Bill

GuntherHess

Reaction score
A very interesing web site you have there...
http://www.bottlemysteries.com/

I was reading the section about bottom dots on stuff jars.
I have heard from many sources that the dots indicated snuff potentcy but have never seen hard evidence to that fact.
The marks have been used since at least the 1850s as this photo of a pontil snuff shows. Instead of embossed bumps the early snuffs used rod marks and I have also seen crosses.
I think the logic for the argument that it represents potentcy is...
- these marks seem to be specific to and consistently on snuff bottles (jars).
- potentcy or strength was an important attribute for snuff
Marks on fruit jars and other bottles are often thought to be indicators used for paying workers doing piece work. The snuff marks seem to be more consistent than marks on other types of bottles though.
One thing I find odd is that they would use an embossed mark. A maker would have to know at the time they make an order how many containers of each type they need. This is compounded by the less reliable order and delivery system of the 19th century. Since all these snuff probably had paper labels it seems more likely that they would indicate the potently on the label at the time the jars were filled.
Maybe there was some reason unknown to me that people would typically remove the labels on these jars (like they had coupons on them or some other reason).

At this point I see pros and cons for the potency theory but I will have to keep my mind open and look for hard evidence.
Again, thanks for interesting web site and keep posting to this forum.

EA094F812E4B40C3AFA599F84F21F216.jpg

Attachments

• EA094F812E4B40C3AFA599F84F21F216.jpg
    EA094F812E4B40C3AFA599F84F21F216.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 152

pault

Reaction score
I found a jar 5" by 2.5" app. ,while diving in the NIagara river clear glass, seem running from top to bottom, it has no grooves for a screw on lid. On the bottom is an anchor with an H over it above that are the numbers 10-48, to the left of the anchor is the number 6 to the right is 33. I think it is an anchor hocking jelly jar, can any one help identify it,ie. age type etc.?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
HELLO pault, I would have to conclude that your jar is one made for jelly or jam. It is obviously am Anchor Hocking product. The number 10-48 is no doubt the job number. The number 6 would be the plant number and the 33 the mold number. It was a press & blow product, where the parison is made by a plunger and the final blow would be in the finishing mold. Without seeing it, I can not tell what type of machine it was made on. The plain lip you describe, means after the waxing of the jelly, a tin lid was placed over the jar for sorage. It is even possible that it could have been made on a plane pressing machine. If it was made on a Harfford I S machine there would have to have been a transfer bead under the finish to hold the parison in the final mold.

I hope this helps you. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp