Doct. Marshall's Varient

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JustGlass

Reaction score
I recently purchase this open pontil Doct. Marshall's bottle and I have a couple of questions. Ive seen and owned many of these snuff bottles but Ive never seen one with embossing like this one. Is this a older version? I have a open pontil one that just says Doct. Marshall's Snuff and the glass doesn't even compare to the crudness of this bottle. Ive seen two bottles that appeared to be smaller in size and they only had the word aromatic on the face. Both were dug and both were broken. Does anyone know when Doct Marshall bottles first went into business?

B90C510D10E84F1FA7096C5057CFC28C.jpg

Attachments

• B90C510D10E84F1FA7096C5057CFC28C.jpg
    B90C510D10E84F1FA7096C5057CFC28C.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 72

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions. Ive seen and owned many of these snuff bottles but Ive never seen one with embossing like this one. Is this a older version? I have a open pontil one that just says Doct. Marshall's Snuff and the glass doesn't even compare to the crudness of this bottle. Ive seen two bottles that appeared to be smaller in size and they only had the word aromatic on the face. Both were dug and both were broken. Does anyone know when Doct Marshall bottles first went into business?

Yes, that is the earlier variant and is much more uncommon. It is first listed as being advertised by Druggist Charles Bowen in 1837 (O Dell 2000).

JustGlass

Reaction score
Thanks for the info GuntherHess. I was surprised
to find no info on Doct. Marshalls Snuff on the net. I know they sold a ton and where quite popular in the past. Do you know what state and town the were manufactured in? Ive run accrossed a few with labels in the past and Im sure that info was probably listed on them but I never took the time to read the label.

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Just Glass,

That sure is a pretty bottle.....love the whittle on it. When I was digging in Sacramento last year in the original flood lines(1850-1860) all the medicine bottles looked like that. It is a clear indicator of the earliest variants of the bottle.
I found a Doct. Marshall's snuff, no other embossing on it that was only 2" in size with open pontil as well.

Nice one!
Doug

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm sure.G. Marshall 92 Genesee St. Utica, N.Y.

According to ODell it was originally formulated by Dr Marshall of Middlebury VT. It was sold by several proprietors the first being Charles Bowen. One labelled address is No. 1 Cornhill Boston.

Road Dog

Reaction score
oops! Pulled out my latest Digger Book now too. You are correct. I found where it read just that. I'll have to see if I can hunt down some advertising stuff on that one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown