Coffin pills and poison bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
It was a strong medicine. To much could kill you. Just enough in a proper dose would keep you addicted for a long time. Swiz

Wangan

Reaction score
Thanks Swizzle.I kind of thought that was the case,but to me poison is like bleach or something absolutely not to be taken.[X(]

nitrous

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: swizzle

It was a strong medicine. To much could kill you. Just enough in a proper dose would keep you addicted for a long time. Swiz

Actually, you wouldn't be addicted at all.
Mercury compounds do a lot of things, but they are not habit forming.
In fact, small doses of mercury adversely affect the kidneys, liver and ultimately, the central nervous system.
Minamata Disease is the end result of chronic mercury toxicity. Acute toxicity leads to a very miserable and rather immediate death.

These tablets were used as an antiseptic. They were, unfortunately often kept in the medicine cabinet with oral medications: the end result was unintentional mercury poisoning.

Mercury ointments were used as a treatment for syphilis. It actually "worked" but it also resulted in mercury poisoning, the symptoms of which were not unlike tertiary syphilis. Al Capone dies of tertiary syphilis (not mercury poisoning!) I won't go into details as to how the mercury ointment was introduced into the infected patient.... but the ointment was removed from the system, by urine flow! :)

I'm not a collector of bottles, but would be interested in the tablets.
Doug

Longhunter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: corilynn

I recently found a Mercury Bichloride poison bottle  it is still sealed and it has the coffin pills in it. I was looking up information on this bottle and found it in the rare hall of fame I was wondering if anyone would know what this bottle is worth and would be interested in this bottle? This bottle is about 4 and half inches tall amber colored.

Please show us a picture of your bottle. Many different poison bottles contained mercury bichloride.

???????????????

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Longhunter

ORIGINAL: corilynn

I recently found a Mercury Bichloride poison bottle  it is still sealed and it has the coffin pills in it. I was looking up information on this bottle and found it in the rare hall of fame I was wondering if anyone would know what this bottle is worth and would be interested in this bottle? This bottle is about 4 and half inches tall amber colored.

Please show us a picture of your bottle. Many different poison bottles contained mercury bichloride.

???????????????
Two year old post by someone who no longer uses the forum, you might want to try an email...[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky