Any Idea What This Is!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I first posted this last year, so my apologies to those who already viewed it[:)] There's a lot of new Forum members, so I decided to take advantage, perhaps one of the new folks has an idea what this is/used for. It was found in a dump used between 1820 - 1910ish. It is 4'' tall overall, the 'barrel' is 3 3/8'' by 1 7/8'' in diameter. The barrel swivels on two side pins, the center embossed band around the barrel section was covered with gold leaf (?), until I made the assinine mistake of taking brass cleaner to it [:eek:][:mad:], The barrel is doubled walled, the inner liner appears to be copper clad steel. The framework is malable metal molded like bundles of twigs or vines. And finally there's a grape cluster on either side. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance![:)]

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Sorry about that, here's a picture.

Db84959.jpg

Attachments

• Db84959.jpg
    Db84959.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 116

grdigger35

Reaction score
Now I've got the pictures. Someone once described a similar object to me that was used to hold ballast type bottles upright on a table. The diameter you have, obviously would not be big enough. If you can't get an answer, try Ebay's appraisal service. I had an object I had no clue what it could be and used the appraisal service for $7.50 and found the item I had was between $100.00 and $200.00 in present condition.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
could it be a inkwell holder? bout the size of one! looks like the barrel moves mostly one direction. the piviot might have been used to shake early inks? thats my guess at it!!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
I would go with inkwell holder as well. Movement would allow tipping to get last of ink as well as wipe excess from tip of Quil (pen). That's my guess.
Cliff

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown