Possible Maine brewer?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

houseman

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this so I'll throw it in here...
I know there are a few Maine collectors on this site, so I hope someone can help me out. Has anyone ever heard of a bottle from Webster, Maine, with the name "Burt" on it?
John Burt was a prominent brewer from one of the towns I collect, East Stroudsburg, Pa. He started the Crystal Spring Brewery in 1868. I know a lot about his bottles, but I was recently doing some research on the man himself and it turns out he was from England and lived in Maine before Pennsylvania. By 1860 he was living in Webster, Me. His official occupation was a miller but he must have known something about brewing as by 1868 he was in Pennsylvania operating his own brewery.
Have any of you Maine collectors ever heard of him? Are there any beer bottles from Webster?

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Tim -

I've done a little checking on your info request and here's what I've found.

The town of Webster gave me a little problem as there is no such town in Maine currently with that name. What used to be the town of Webster became the town of Sabattus in the early 1970s. I checked the ME Census for 1860 and found the same info on Burt being listed as a miller.

I also checked my ME Bottlers book and found the only listing for Webster/Sabattus as a mineral spring water company from the late 1890s. I have no bottlers listed with the name Burt. Looks to me like Burt switched occupations when he moved to PA from ME.

Hope this info is of some help - regards - Sam

houseman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Sam! That must have been quite a change to go from a miller in Maine to a brewer in Pennsylvania! I wonder what prompted the move...
He must have been good at his craft. The brewery was a hit and his sons took over and kept it going into the 1930's.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado