"""""" The bottle magazine on new bottle site ad

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
Gut hooked this post... People thought I should not post email from a bottle mag guy who is giving reasons he isn't sure I can promote the site in his venue that seem at face value rhetorical.

Steven

cc6pack

Reaction score
RE: Jim The bottle magazine on new bottle site ad

Steve

I'm old and set in my ways[:D], if you're paying some one to advertise I certainly would not expect to have to almost beg the for an ad response. Several of us are making the Rome, Ga. bottle show Feb. 7. If you can email me something advertising your site I'd be glad to put it out on my table.

As far as the additional minutes at the end of an auction I lean against it. I always loved snipers at the end of an auction. I'd hate to lose them. JMHO.

GuntherHess

Reaction score

I'm not sure personal correspondence like that should be posted on this forum unless both parties agree. If they do then no problem. Just my opionion of course.

Wilkie

Reaction score

Why even bother with email? Just fill out the classified ad order form and pay the fee. It probably wouldn't even be questioned.

If the site is good, advertising may not be necessary anyway. Bottle diggers/collectors are kind of a close knit community, get the word out like you've done here, if it is a good site, it will take on a life of it's own.

Maybe you can advertise with an online entity like "mypoints.com". eBay advertises through them. mypoints.com is a place where people earn points for reading ads and trade in the points for gift cards, etc.

mrbottles

Reaction score

Hey Gunther,

Noted I will edit it so it is less directly associated with an individual. I hate getting the run around and I really have been pestering to get no response. If they were all about the bottles they might offer to do an article. Copy right it a COPy out. Still not the proper amount of respect so I will fix it.

CC since you have the first opinion I will leave it at snipers rule. When I edit that post I will remove the question. Kind of what I thought too but someone emailed the suggestion the other way saying it allows sellers the best price. I just have to rework the brochure. One of my people did it and it is pretty good.

Wilkie you are right I don't want to pay to advertise and I hope we don’t need to but I am trying to get a punch of people out right off the bat so the market grows fast for sellers. We are adding a spread the word button so that people can easily forward the site to friends fro the home page. I am going to ask every website owner I know and many I don’t to promote the site once it is ready to take registrations and postings. It will be any day now. I am not even linking from my own site yet because I can’t explain the things that are not in order yet like I can here.

There is no doubt that the people here are really helping to shape things up and clarify what makes the most sense as far as function. The more you think about it the more blurry it gets.

Have you looked lately? It is changing fast http://holding230w.inetwd.com/

Steven

appliedlips

Reaction score

I am hoping your site is a hit but agree with Matt.Private email should be just that.I don't think Jim is against printing competing ads.I have seen Heckler's ads as well as others in their pages.I am sure they will allow you to advertise if you are patient.Good luck.

mrbottles

Reaction score

I hear you Appliedlips. I just deleted the email string from above. My hope in posting it here was someone who knows the guy might get him on board. It is interesting to note; he sent me an email late yesterday asking me to send him the site code. We don’t show our proprietary code to anyone without major legal work and a big contract. I don’t know him at all. There is no doubt the magazine is a nice service for collectors and is a deal.

When it gets going there will be no point in being obstructionist but right now is when i would want the ad to help jump start the market for sellers.

We are getting real close to ready to go live!!! It is going to be awesome!

Steven

phil44

Reaction score

If they were all about the bottles they might offer to do an article. Copy right it a COPy out.

The bottle magazine guy is a publisher. He took over the previous mag. when it was floundering. For a long time has provided one of the best forums for collectors to write, sell, advertise and coordinate events in. Mr. H has rolled with the times and is a great business man and an asset to the hobby. Started his own auction, one of the first big guys to embrace ebay.

Face it , everybody in the hobby who buys & sells is in business. I don’t know how many bottles are on Ebay right now but if you are successful and get everyone on there to sell on your new venture you could gross 10s of thousands of dollars a week.

mrbottles

Reaction score
RE: The bottle magazine on new bottle site ad

The numbers are impossible to ignore. It will take a long time with a lot of users to recoup the cost to produce. The fees are considerably less than anywhere else and there are not listing fees and no closing fees if the item does not sell. Stores are cheap and still no listing fees. Five images free with each listing and still no listing fees. When the auction closes 2% of the first 1000 and 1% after that and… Yes you guessed it still no listing fees. Stores for $10 per month with 360 listings and the ability to tag hours on to dates in listings so you can push an auction live at 2am and have it close at 7pm eight days later.

My contention with the bottle magazine is twofold first; no response. Not a big deal still rough. All he has to say is sorry not interested and I would be done with it. I am sure the lad is a most wonderful human being and am grateful for anyone who promotes the hobby. Put it this way... not knowing him I LIKE THE GUY for his contributions to bottle collecting. Personally and as a bottle enthusiast I used to subscribe, even sent in an article once about bottle hunting. Then I discovered places like this forum and a lot of the bottle people started to share information on the web and I just let my subscription expire a few years back. Still I support that venues and know he puts in a lot more than he gets back. In trying to promote the site I assumed he might be excited, may even think it is a great thing for collectors. Second issue; What I got was very silly requests after I pestered for a response. The first was that they are unsure if I am breaking copy rights and the second was asking me to send the code of the website. That website utilizes code that cost us millions in payroll to develop. The auction piece alone is closing in on 1200 hours. That is a lot of hours! The site edit logic we have developed over 12 years of web development is ridiculously complex and totally secret. We build websites to be found by search engines like Google. We are better at it than just about everyone. http://www.inet-web.com/ There is no chance I can send that code off site to anyone. We have one Fortune five hundred company ever that was willing to even pay the expensive license fee to host our code offsite without the ability or right to break it down or reengineer it.

So I hear ya Phil. I think the magazine and the man are BOTH awesome. I hope to meet him someday and learn from a master. I posted the topic here as a matter of interest and again hoping someone who does know him, who sees the benefit, might be able to coax him into letting me promote in his venue.

We are SOOOOO close! It is going to be incredible!

Steven

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen