"""""" The bottle magazine on new bottle site ad

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

phil44

Reaction score
RE: The bottle magazine on new bottle site ad

Yea I've got alot of thoughts on the whole subject: All and all if it's good everyone will embrace it!

mrbottles

Reaction score

Hi Again Phil,
I started conceptualizing this over a year ago. I literally asked people here what they wanted in a bottle auction site and put up a survey on my own site at that time. There were other people who said they were going to do it and I literally stepped back knowing the scope of the project and figured I am perfectly happy using their solution. It was dumbfounding how much there is to consider.
Then one of my salespeople misquoted auction functionality for a business client based on a ‘no longer employed here’ programmer’s major underestimation of hours. The billable is nothing, literally under seven thousand dollars for a custom site and auction functionality with a lot of custom work. The cost for that production is so far beyond a loss that it makes me cringe to look at the numbers. Reviewing the production and deciding what we would do when the customer was getting frustrated over the time frame and we were clearly losing our shirts... Honor the quote as we always do when our people underestimate, demand more money because we were losing money (we have never done) or tell the customer to get lost (would never do) it was honor the quote for sure. The silver lining being I wanted the functionality for bottles too. I want it to be super easy you use, inexpensive and fun. I would appreciate any feedback you have on look, feel and functionality.
I will be testing the image loader and functionality tonight. I am going to list items for real with staggered time frame closings and five images. I will start five or six weeks out with the stuff I put up tonight or a year through my store. I have a lot of stuff and I want to get things in most categories as I start to promote the site just so people can see something. I am going to load some things I don’t want to sell in my store at high buy it now prices so if people want to spend premium dollars for them I will sell.
I told my wife I might list some of our antique furniture in the antique category just so something is there but at a price no one will buy and she nearly fainted. My idea was this very cool armoire we have. She said no way what if someone does buy it. Then I said what about our corner card table... VERY COOL. She said no way and then suggested that I put this Wisconsin made 1850’s big candy store bar with a huge hand cut two piece ten foot long curved marble table top up that I am designing our entire basement remodel around and I said no way what if someone does buy it! So it might only have bottles from me.
Steven

baltbottles

Reaction score

Steve,

I wanted to ask if you could add a few more catagories under stoneware and pottery. Most pottery collectors collect certin types of pottery. I thought adding Catagories for Yellowware, Mocha Ware, Pearlware, Transferware, and Redware, and Rockingham / Bennington would be a good start.

Chris

mrbottles

Reaction score

Hey Chris,

Yes the categories will be add post haste. One thing to consider is that no matter what category some one puts an item in if you search by the title and description you will find it.

That said, I put insulators under household bottles. Is that where they belong? That is killing m… Where do insulators belong in the categories??? A question for the ages that is.

http://holding230w.inetwd.com/

Steven

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Steven, Insulators go back to the invention of the telegraph, then into telephone, electricity and also into lightning rod installation, electric fences, radio antennas. The collecting also gets into high power electric insulators. I can break these down into several details but I don't think they will get too far from glass collectors interest.
I also have three other catagories to lay on you and I need to check in a book that I can't find, right now. Thanks for your feed back. RED Matthews

mrbottles

Reaction score

Hey Red,
I really liked your story on your home page. The human element is what collecting is all about. The history of the company that made the things we collect the people that the items were made for and the people who used and discarded them. My hope is that the auction site will bring some of that human connection back. Hopefully people will tell their story the way you tell your story in their store. I will stick with insulators under household then. I do have some very unusual insulators to list on the new site. I saw a construction site maybe ten years ago in an area famous for being built on an old dump. In the late 1800’s it was the home of Cutler Hamner. (That may be a misspell) the dirt piles had these ceramic light sockets and switch holders that are made of two or three pieces and that are glazed on one side. I have never seen anything like them anywhere else. They may have been prototype and then dumped in a low area as fill outside the factory. When I have them listed you will have to let me know what you think.

Steven

phil44

Reaction score

Insulators should be thier own category. There is pottery, glass, rubber,others??? Threadless and threaded, I'm no expert here but there are telephone, telegraph, and electric insulators. Could probably be broken even down further.

mrbottles

Reaction score

HA!!! That does make sense. Trying to put them in a bottle category is like putting butter churn in a bottle category. Doesn't fit no matter how hard you try!

It will be done!

Steven

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis