"Carrie Nation" question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ombudsman

Reaction score
I'll admit right off that my memory isn't what it used to be. I think that at one time I knew what the so-called "Carrie Nation" bottle originally held. My rapidly-fading memory tells me that I once read that the bottle did not actually represent Carrie Nation (Carrie carried a hatchet, not an umbrella.)

The lady next door, my best friend's wife, wanted me to look at a bottle that had belonged to her late mother. Sure enough, it was a Carrie Nation. I have one, but had not thought of it for 30 years (that's when we crated our collection to move to our present abode - most of the bottles are still crated.)

Thinking that one of my (by now, antique [:D] ) bottle books told about "Carrie," I promised to dig up some info for her. Lo and behold! Nothing in my books.

Can anyone help me with some info?

Thanks,
Dave

Wilkie

Reaction score
Do you mean one of these?

C8D093BF76F1472EB2019BB5F9255A69.jpg

Since Carrie Nation was famous for smashing up saloons in the name of Jesus, I'm willing to bet this is a liquer bottle. Kind of a fitting "anti" tribute if that makes sense.

Attachments

• C8D093BF76F1472EB2019BB5F9255A69.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 139

ombudsman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wilkie

Do you mean one of these?

Yes, that's the one. Value doesn't mean anything to my neighbor, but info on what this bottle held, or any other info would be appreciated.

Stardust

Reaction score
There's a Carry Nation Festival is held the second weekend in September MI. This is the celebration of Carry Nation's visit to Holly in the early 1900's and lectured on the disasters caused by booze. To emphasize this, she used her umbrella to smash the liquor bottles on the shelves at the pub. She preffered to go by the name Carry A. Nation, although the bottle may be called the, Carrie Nation bottle.

Stardust

Reaction score

ombudsman

Reaction score
But no one knows what the bottle held? For some reason my (faulty) memory is tickling me with "vinegar," but that could be a figment of my imagination.

Wilkie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ombudsman

But no one knows what the bottle held? For some reason my (faulty) memory is tickling me with "vinegar," but that could be a figment of my imagination.
You are right. I just found this at http://www.bottlebooks.com/questions/January%202005/january_2005_questions__ask_digg.htm
I have seen several of these. I think they have a value around $20-25. Embossed on bottom is "DES PAT 81611" . That number was registered in 1930. It has been suggested that Ben H. Wilson of Toledo, Ohio, patented the design for the bottle on July 15th, 1930 and it was produced by the Owens-Illinois Bottle Company of Huntington, West Virginia. The bottle was used to dispense vinegar. The name "Carie A. Nation" was given to the bottle by collectors, but it had no specific name originally. (Carry A. Nation, was a temperance leader in the early 1900s. She gained national reputation delivering lectures and public prayers.) Digger

Isn't Digger a member of this forum?

ombudsman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wilkie

ORIGINAL: ombudsman

You are right.  I just found this at http://www.bottlebooks.com/questions/January%202005/january_2005_questions__ask_digg.htm
I have seen several of these.  I think they have a value around $20-25.  Embossed on bottom is "DES PAT 81611" . That number was registered in 1930. It has been suggested that  Ben H. Wilson of Toledo, Ohio, patented the design for the bottle on July 15th, 1930 and it was produced by the Owens-Illinois Bottle Company of Huntington, West Virginia.  The bottle was used to dispense vinegar. The name "Carie A. Nation" was given to the bottle by collectors, but it had no specific name originally. (Carry A. Nation, was a temperance leader in the early 1900s. She gained national reputation delivering lectures and public prayers.) Digger

Isn't Digger a member of this forum?

Thanks a million!
Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1