Ebay second chance scam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crkgrl

Reaction score
A friend of mine got scammed, big time, on what appeared to be a second chance offer from ebay. The scammer's name was:

MARCEL DAVID
DETROIT, MI.

My friend was not very familiar with ebay. What was sent to him looked exactly like an ebay offer and touted all the Ebay safeguards. He sent the money. You know the rest.

He called Western Union, who said this was becoming a fast favorite of ebay scams.

Sadly, he had emailed ebay early on in the process, with questions. However it took Ebay several days to get back to him and tell him it was a scam. By then it was too late.

Bottleman

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that happened to your friend. I absolutely HATE e-bays customer service! Ever time something goes wrong and I have to ask them a question, I will get an automatic computer response that says my question will get answered within like the next 24 hours. Half of the time I never get a response. I don’t understand why they don’t just take a little money out of their billions and hire an over the phone customer support team. I have been a member of eBay for over 5 years and occasionally still run into problems where speaking to a real person would clear things up in a matter of minutes. I feel bad for the new comers on eBay that need the real help with all of there questions and have to deal with the online support.

~~Tom

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
MainePontil...

Hey Joel... I was reading this thread and remembered that Rick Carney got a similar "second chance" offer information. He had listed that super rare Hayden bottle for me. We had a high reserve on it and the auction went off and it didn't meet reserve. Then this same scumbag scam artist sent some "second chance" offers to a couple of people who contacted Rick! Anyway, I can't even re-list this bottle on E-bay now cause some of the previous bidders will think that the "scam" is comming back around.

I guess I'll have Heckler or Pacific Glass Works put it in one of their auctions. Do you have a preference to who you would go with? This is a beautiful piece and I know that it should be in a top notch Stoddard or New England glass collection in a nice display case!!

Wayne[8|]

capsoda

Reaction score
Watch out for scams like that comming out of Nigeria. Nigerian scams usually pertain to items worth large sums of money and special bank drafts.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Warren...

Believe it or not, that particular group is responsible for a lot of thefts right here in the good ole continental US of A!!! Big into shoplifting and credit card scams... I took many training seminars when I was an investigator and let me tell you, they are rapant! They get caught, deported and another takes their place... makes you sick.

Wayne

bottleboy311

Reaction score
The problem with these second chance scams is it makes people not want to buy from you on a legitimate second chance. There are items I sell on ebay, like toys that got from a toy store that closed in the 70's. I have duplicates and some items I have a couple dozen. All the same item and all mint in the box unused. The item will be bid up and after the auction closes, I offer the same item to the second bidder. In this way, I do not have to relist. But very seldom do I get takers. 1) They are afraid of scams we talked about. 2) They think that you had some one bid the item up.

The answer is if you get a second chance offer, email the seller through ebay's message service. If they respond, that they have a second item or the high bidder fell through you know it is on the up and up. Another thing is try not to pay using Western Union. The paper trail poor using Western Union. Use Paypal if you can.

[:(]The newest scam, this going againist sellers, is paying more than the invoice of the item. When selling a high priced item, particularly internationally, the buyer may pay you more than they owe. Sometimes 2 or 3 times the amount of the purchase, ussually paid in a money order. When they relize they over paid, or you tell them, they say cash the money order and sent the over payment back to me in a money order, and keep $10.00 for all your hassel. If you do this you can be in trouble for money laundering. Send the money order back and ask for one with the correct amount.

Lee

Mihai

Reaction score
Hi,
Even if I used to live in London until two months ago I don't know the SE1 area. But I checked on Net and I found out that 42 Lower Marsh seems to be a building called Capital House where it's an University and who knows what else.
A funny thing is the name used for the other scam: Steven Gerard. This will work for any other country than England as there is a very big soccer player in here with that name. It's like getting mail from Mickey Mantle. It must make you think before answering.
This scam in which somebody ask you about your detaills is quite common here, in UK, but is used usually to find out the bank details. You get an email asking you to confirm your account number, password and other staff and when you use the link provided you are sent to a fake site that looks exactely like the real one. You can check if it's real by simply closing that page and going to your bank page other ways or by calling them on the phone. Even so your bank will never ask for your full password but only, lets say, second and fifth characters.
Be aware, be very aware!

crkgrl

Reaction score
It does appear that Ebay could spend a little money and have a better and possibly "live" customer service department. Once my friend finally got ebay customer service, of course they wre very speedy on the damage control. The whole thing made me sick to my stomach. Like my friend who got scammed, guess I was a little niave.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky