Ebay second chance scam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
I heard about this particular scam on this or another site,where an email is sent entitled Ebay.They tell you they are the seller and and are offering you a second chance purchase for the price of your bid.Then give you a different email address and and try to get you to send them money.It happened to me today,they really messed up because I won the auction so I knew it wouldn't be the seller.They are targeting high priced auctions.My earlier lower bid on this bottle was over $1500 so it would of hurt.I am sure this is working for them,as many people would be anxious to get a second chance.The best way to protect is if you receive an email like this.Write the seller from your Ebay page and ask if they sent the message.Doug

grdigger35

Reaction score
Doug, I just had one today supposedly from PayPal saying my account was scheduled for maintenance. When you open it, it looks exactly like the PayPal login page. If you type in your password, you've been had. Fortunatley, the account guard warned me.

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
If you check the FBI's site,they have a up to date list of this type of scam,...

the ebay/paypal scams are getting a bit o real,......i know abit about computers and scripting/Html etc etc ,but the emails are getting tooo good,...

if you feel if you have been taken ,dont sit around take action!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
I got a second chance email a few weeks ago. I'm friends with the seller so I knew it was bogus. I played dumb and told the guy I wanted it. I figured I would mess with him so I said my name is Foops Yabe (which is Ebay Spoof backwards) and listed ebays address as mine. So he still sent me an invoice with and address in England to send Western Union.

So here it is.

Cristian Sawel
42 Weston Street
London, SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Perhaps some of you English members can go there and do some investigating. Break a few legs or something[;)] He tried to get me for $4000.00.

Joel

Gidday

Reaction score
Believe this is the site Whitelighting is refering to. http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Bottleman

Reaction score
Hello. If you receive an e-mail from pay-pal or ebay that you are questioning if its real or not I personally found a way to figure out if its real or not. Click of the link in the e-mail and it should come to a page with a login screen. Type your username in but DON’T type your real password in. Just type in any word that comes to your head in the password box. Even though it’s not your real password, if it’s a spoof e-mail it should accept it anyways and take you to the next page where they will probably want your credit card info. If it’s a real ebay or pay pal e-mail it will tell you that you have entered an incorrect password.

Hope this helps, Tom

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
You guys you guys, listen.....Ebay and paypal and all that good stuff will ABSOLUTELY NEVER send you an email asking for personal information. EVER. If you get an email asking even for your name, ignore it. If there is a problem ebay and paypal will alert you when you actually go to the site. ESPECIALLY NEVER answer an email with the subject "ebay safe harbor" or whatever....Its kind of ironic actually and its a very convincing scam....says theyve detected suspicious activity on my credit card and they need my info to verify and stuff....they even have the link in text as the REAL site but instead it takes you to a diff one....make sure it always has ebay.com in it. JUST FOLLOW ONE RULE...DONT ANSWER ANY EMAILS, NO MATTER WHAT...IF YOU ARE CONCERNED THAT THE EMAIL IS LEGITAMITE THEN GO TO EBAY.COM AND FIND THE ACCOUNT THEFT SECTION IN HELP, GO TO LIVE HELP, AND TALK TO SOMEONE TO FIND OUT IF THERE REALLY IS A PROBLEM. Good luck and i hope that helps cuz the first time i got this i sent them back an email that basically said F--- YOU but then i got worried because they were persistent so i went with it and ended up losing my email of 4 years, and getting an ATV listed on my freakin name...yeah....so...just dont answer em.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hey RazorsEdge, my grandfather made the same boo boo. I list his milk bottles for him frequently and when I signed in on his ebay name to list some bottles, I noticed he had an ATV for sale. I was like wtf? It was crazy, made me do some thinking. I had a heck of a time getting everything back to normal. I had to change passwords for almost everything. Luckily his paypal password wasn't the same as his ebay password.

warith

Reaction score
The simplest and most reliable way to handle these queries is simply to open a second browser window and go to the web site fo rthe company in question. Eg when you get an email that's perhaps from Paypal, in a 2nd window, go to "www.paypal.com" and login. Then Paypal's web site will tell you if there are issues.

Companies with serious security concerns, eg Ebay and Paypal, say that thay never send emails like this, which is true. However they do send similar emails with things lke warnings that your account's security may have been breached & etc. As a result it's always good knowing a way to check the authenticity.

For the technicaly savvy amongst us, viewing the email's source code (most phisihing emails are written not in normal "text" but in HTML, like a web page) wil help to understand exactly how your information could be abused.

Here is a terrific resource on Scams and Phishing:
www.fraudwatchinternational.com/internet/phishing/protect.shtml

grdigger35

Reaction score
If you get one of these emails, just forward the message to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. They will get back to you very shortly and tell you if it is a fraud or not.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp