Russian Heart Break

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RIBottleguy

I found an 1842 reference to Russian Oil of Bark for renovating leather. It was made by George Peck & Co. of Fairfield, Conn.

wow, I cant believe you turned something up on this one. It was dug in Massachusetts, so a little ways from home.

of course it might not be it at all, but one of my guesses was oil of bark

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain its russian oil of bark. I wonder if Peck was related to Merriam somehow or it was just a copycat? Peck might of started making it in Mass. where he saw Merriam making it.
Peck apparently later formed the Peck & Olds extracts company. There is at least one bottle known for them.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: RIBottleguy

I found an 1842 reference to Russian Oil of Bark for renovating leather. It was made by George Peck & Co. of Fairfield, Conn.

Amazing~! Great job Taylor....I think that makes it even cooler. "Russian oil of bark" . I'd like to see a whole one! Cool that you dug it Tigue, and great job figuring it out Taylor.... Love the color and look of that shard.

CazDigger

Reaction score
I came up with nothing on this one too and it drove me crazy! What a great bottle, now, only have to find a whole one!

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

I guess it goes in the blacking and polish catagory. 10 x cooler than A A Cooley bottle.

Yeah, and even rarer than the Forbes, the Hutchins & Mason, the Race & Sheldon... And there ain't a whole lot of any of those. And what did the top look like? Would love to see a whole one! What else is waiting out there that nobody's heard of?

druggistnut

Reaction score
Great find and it sounds like pits at the back of boarding houses.
Since the BA word needs to be longer (as you suggested- to fill space), how about "Oil of Bananas?" Good as any.
Bill

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac