Overcleaned

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Blue-Bottle-C-B-OWEN-CO-BOTTLERS-CINCINNATI_W0QQitemZ130294940161QQihZ003QQcategoryZ895QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I cannot imagine spending good money on something that has been so heavily cleaned.Am I the only one? To me overcleaned sodas look like plastic and lack any appeal.I once bought a pontilled, Smith's Green Mountain Renovator that had the side panels heavily buffed and I couldn't get rid of that thing quick enough.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Nothing bothers me more. I'd rather have the bottle cracked and/or with the top knocked cleaned off. An overcleaned bottle (to my mind) has lost its soul. With that said, I'm not against a properly cleaned bottle, I just hate those that feel like they're going to slip out of your hand...

Stardust

Reaction score
WHO WOULD want to buy it like that? [&:] It looks like crapola [:(]

baltbottles

Reaction score
I completely agree. Over cleaned bottles are total crap. Personally I'd rather have a staind up soda then one thats been cleaned good or bad but I'm crazy.

Chris

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
This post is really making me happy! I think that a lot of the wear and damage on a bottle is part of its unique history. If you take an early soda like that cobalt one and cut it until its all greasy looking - you've removed all of the character and you're left with a shadow of the original artifact. I would rather see it with the dirt on it than covered in an oily overtumbled glossy sheen! I've always thought that I was the odd one out there. You guys are making me feel better! Here's some more experiences with this stuff;

I was at a bottle show. A guy had a super rare bottle that had apparently been found with heavy damage. It was overcut and then had a bad repair job trying to fill a chip (with acryllic stuff). I told the guy I would have bought it if he had left it as found - but I wouldn't buy it like that.

Another local tumbler, notorious for cutting and cutting and cutting, offered me a hutch bottle variant that was only known with a slug plate. He said he had found this one without the plate. I studied it beside the regular one and I could tell that it was the same mold - he just had completely removed the slug plate. What an abomination! He destroyed that thing (along with any manufacting information that could have been seen from looking at the subtle markings on it). Luckily, that one was not rare. . .

appliedlips

Reaction score
I do believe that many dug sodas and other bottles need cleaning to display nicely but also think about 2/3's of the folks with tumblers should have them taken away.I have some of my bottles cleaned but leave alot of them,as is..

justanolddigger

Reaction score
This debate will rage on forever, some folks like em as is, some like them clean & shiny. I don't think you will change how they feel. I like them clean, but I do agree with the opinions on slick & overcleaned bottles, I think that is something we can all agree on, and they give good cleaners a bad rap. I have some bottles that just don't respond to cleaning, and I just let them go at that stage. They might retain some stain or etching, but still display nice. Most cleaners should put the heavy grinding polishes away.
Have Fun!
Bill

texasdigger

Reaction score
I have never had any of my bottles tumbled. I am too scared of breaking the rare ones, and will not invest the time and money into the cheap ones. I am happy with getting them as clean as possible, drying them and applying a good coat of mineral oil. It is not as good as tumbling, and they have to be re-oiled every six months or so. But it keeps them from being broken, and they display well enough. When I find somebody I know does good work I may get a couple done, but for now I am happy with my own cleaning process.

Over tumbling takes the character and crudity right out of a bottle. I hate weak embossing, and tumbling always seems to cause that.

Brad

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776