HELP! Research Project Question!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bongers

Reaction score
I'm working on a research project that deals with smashed European bottles in northern Chile. I'm going to perform micro probe analysis on the bottles, which will identify the chemical formula of each the bottles. I plan on using this information to find out the manufacturer and the date of manufacturer but I have a couple questions. Does the chemical composition or "recipe" of antique bottles differ? For example, is the chemical composition of a late nineteenth century Dutch bottle different from a late nineteenth century English bottle? Do you know any books that talk about the chemical composition of bottles? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Bongers, I was just looking around in other Forum subjects and found your post of 04/04/09 and didn't even know it was there. I guess no one else did either. I have two books to recommend for you. In the listing of #22 there is an address for the person that found my copy for me. He list on eBay as xsellr8, and has done good book finding for me. Besides that I think he is honest and helpful.

They will be listed in my Books section of my homepage within a few months. They will be shown as:
# 20 "WONDERS OF GLASS AND BOTTLE MAKING (To 1871)" By A. Sauzey
and
#21 The World’s Most Famous Book on Glassmaking
“THE ART OF GLASS†By Antonio Neri
Translated to English by Christopher Merrett Edited by Michael Cable – For The Society of Glass Technology in 2004.

Acquired from Destiny Publications – David & Sheri Dunaway, 13797 SE 1781 Lane, Hathorne, FL, 32640. [In FL ’07 - 08]

RED Matthews

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
You will find many variations in the basic glass formula, some will be minor, while other are major. The composition could well vary from batch to batch, if primitive measuring meathods were employed, such as "10 shovels of this one, 15 shovels of that one" and so on.
Quality control was nothing, compared to today. In my years I have dug bottles, some are like new, while the one next to it is so etched and pitted by being in the ground, it can not even be cleaned....from the same hole.

ancientdigger69

Reaction score
its really going to depend on where it was made and what materials were used in the making of a bottle. the composition and color and quality of the glass will differ from place to place. new jersey made bottles have different characteristics than new england bottles. no two glass houses did things exactly the same with the same materials.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis