Basic bottle cleaning

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I am going to give free bottle cleaning advice! I want to share some information with you about how I clean bottles. There are no trade secrets here. For many of you experts, this is too remedial. Sorry about that. I'm hoping that it will help at least some collectors.

SKIP THIS GREY PART IF YOU HATE LECTURES!
A little about my cleaning philsophy. I believe that a little sickness may be part of a bottle's unique history. Sure, I love to get mint examples. However, trying to make a damaged bottle mint often results in it being damaged differently (in my opinion). I do not use any power tools, acid, vinegar, oils, sealants, or tumblers. I just get the dirt and stains off the best I can. I give that dirt hell! (And then I live with the rest). I actually enjoy seeing a rainbow of irridescence on the surface of an antique bottle. I also love the faint curved lines of etching found on a privy bottle. I prefer this matted patena to the glossy oiled surface of an over-cut, over-tumbled piece. I believe that I am the caretaker to the history of the bottles that I own and that it is my job to do no harm to them. I should preserve their history (to the best of my ability). I should let them sparkle in the sun on the window sill. Okay. I got carried away. I'm off of the soap-box. On to cleaning.

SUPPLIES. This first picture shows the materials I use. The cleaning agent I prefer is some type of lime remover. I have heard raves about denture cleaners (but I have never tried them). For the surface of a bottle, I typically use two things. A scotch brite pad and an old toothbrush. I have never scrubbed hard enough to damage a bottle with either. For the inside, I use cut copper wire. It comes from heavy gauge wiring (like 12 or 14 gauge). The coating is stripped off of the wire and it is cut into small pellets (maybe 1/8 inch long). This can be done with a hand held wire cutter but there are machines that can accomplish this as well. Basically, people who tumble bottles use this type of copper.

THE METHOD. I add approximately a pound of copper to the inside of a bottle and then I squirt in the lime remover. I use enough of the lime stuff to moisten the copper without drowning it. For some bottles with an intact closure, you can simply re-seal the bottle with the closure. For others, I put in a rubber plug (or seal the top off with my thumb - make sure to rinse your hand promptly if you do this). Next, I proceed to shake the copper-lime mixture over the dirty, stained area. If I want to get really serious, I put the dirty side down away from my body. Then, I shake it violently up and down (like I'm shaking a martini mixer). This gives some pretty good contact with the stain and can usually remove almost any kind of dirt, scum, algae, residue, and stain. It does not always get the heavy etched on mineral deposits. However, it will usualy lighten them to a less offensive whitish color.

This first picture shows the supplies. If you had to buy it all, I'm guessing it cost you ten bucks (plus whatever copper costs nowadays). The copper lasts a very long time. Over time, though, it does get slightly rounded by all the contact with the glass and does not 'scrub' as well anymore.

7CB3AE97677B4B839F915B6B3EDEF74A.jpg

Attachments

• 7CB3AE97677B4B839F915B6B3EDEF74A.jpg
    7CB3AE97677B4B839F915B6B3EDEF74A.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 249

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Now. For some actual glass. I took two different dirty bottles. One (the hutch at left) came from the ground. The other (the crown) came from a river. Both were quite dirty. They were found a long time ago (and sat there waiting for me to do something with them). Here is the before shot.

AAD9B56FE90245198DAEE1F2610427A5.jpg

Attachments

• AAD9B56FE90245198DAEE1F2610427A5.jpg
    AAD9B56FE90245198DAEE1F2610427A5.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 256

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
And now for some results. These results are completely typical of what you would see using this method. No bottles were harmed in this process. The bottles still have all of the scratches and wear that they had when I aquired them. But wow - do they ever look better!

D230105487894D4C92531D6DBFFA3895.jpg

Attachments

• D230105487894D4C92531D6DBFFA3895.jpg
    D230105487894D4C92531D6DBFFA3895.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 244

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Note that I also show a cleaned hutchinson stopper in the 'after' photo. To see how I did this, check out this link (on the forum). I find that a shiny stopper really adds something to a hutch!

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Cleaning-Hutchinson-stoppers/m-196299/tm.htm

I actually further discuss this on another thread if you're interested.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/The-Hutchinson-stopper/m-199654/tm.htm

I would love to learn other methods of getting bottles clean or other bottle cleaning secrets. If you don't mind sharing, let me now your tricks. Thanks, Bob

morbious_fod

Reaction score
While I have tried Lime away, with varying results, I haven't tried cut copper yet. I do use scotch brite non-scratch sponges, which are the blue ones, and bar keepers friend on my acls. Don't try this if your acl is weak or crumbling, it'll take it right off. You just have to be a pretty good judge of what will clean up nice and what won't, of course if they are in that bad of a condition nearly any type of cleaning can cause problems.

I have struggled with trying to get stains off of my bottles, esspecially on the inside, and will have to give the green scotchbrite a try on some of the embossed bottles, and definately will have to try the copperwire and lime away method sometime. Thanks.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Morbious,
The copper works miracles on the inside. I've tried twisting and turning a bottle brush inside the mouth of a bottle with only slight cleaning in the areas you can actually reach. The copper makes short work of anything that can be scrubbed off. Cleaning time for the above bottles was less than a minute each.

ktbi

Reaction score
Thanks for the post BBB...I am trying this method next and soon...Like so many others - I have a mountain of glass to clean, I just need to get motivated. The before and after pictures do just that - get me motivated.......Ron

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Sir you are an inspiration and your advise saved me a lot of hassle, and some cussing points, with a particularly tough bottle cleaning job last night. On Friday at the Grey, TN bottle show I was lucky enough to come across two quite rare bottles from this area. The first was a Norton, VA Pepsi-Cola Fountain Syrup bottle, which cleaned up fine, and the other was a Princeton WVA Pepsi-Cola Fountain Syrup bottle what was in georgous condition outside; however, had what appeared to be tree sap or maybe sixty year old dried up turpentine in it. There was a big glob in the bottom and I spent most of Friday night ruining two brushes trying to get the mess out.

I remembered on Saturday that I had bought some copper to use for cleaning a few weeks ago; however, I hadn't tried it yet. After about five hours of cutting copper with a wire cutter, I was ready to give it a try. Of course the eniviable happened some of the copper got trapped in the goop; however, after about fifteen to twenty minutes of shaking I was able to get all of the goop out of the bottle. Now it sits proudly on my shelf in all its near mint glory.

I was afraid that with the amount of time it took to clean the bottle that maybe the copper might have left some scratches on the bottle; however, if there are I can't see them. Thanks for the advice, the next one on the list for this treatment is a Pocahontas, VA Spur cola with a mineral deposit ring around the inside. I'm hoping that my luck will hold out.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac