Love this bottle, but what is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle_girl

Reaction score
You all helped me greatly with the last unknown bottle, so let's see if you can help me again. I got this bottle for my birthday from my mom who found it at a flea market/antique store. Here's the description:

It's 3 and 3/4 inches tall, aqua-green with lots of mineral/medicine? staining on the inside. The mold seam stops right at the base of the neck of the bottle and the lip is applied? i guess. Bottle is somewhat heavy with bubbles in the glass and one seam sticks out noticeably. It's thick glass. I think it looks like an ink bottle, but I'm no expert.
On the front, it says "PATENTED MCH. 6. 83." (March 06, 1883, perhaps?). On the bottom is says BIXBY and it has two bubbles poking out of the bottom, making the surface uneven. Please take a look at this picture and give me some ideas if you have them. I do think it's definitely 1880-1900 (based on the mold seam and the imperfections) but I don't know; I hope it is.

Thanx for the help. Bottle Girl.

Mk27251.jpg

Attachments

• Mk27251.jpg
    Mk27251.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 117

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi bottle_girl, welcome to the forum.
Your Bixby bottle is an ink or a paste/clag bottle. I'd say you are right about the patented date, the patent probably refers to the bottle shape rather than the contents.
You would be spot on about the age of it I think [;)] .

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Ditto on what Ken said! I have dug the aqua ones here in Maine I also have that same bottle in green and amber! I believe the grn is not too common...Taz

woody

Reaction score
I believe it to be a mucilage or glue bottle, not an ink.
Many times people mistake this particular bottle for an ink, although they did make ink, also.

bottle_girl

Reaction score
Thanx guys for the help. I didn't think of it being a glue bottle, but that's be cool. See I was specializing in antique medicine bottles but now I just get what I can - my collection has gone from 3 as of October to 66 in December, and I don't see an end to it anytime soon!
Bottle Girl

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado