G. W. Noedel ACT?? Australian??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

143Tallboy

Reaction score
Is there anyone on the list that has any details about this bottle? I bought it at an auction sale here in Ontario, Canada. The embossing reads:

Front: B & E, B.C/ G.W. Noedel/Act
Back: THIS BOTTLE / IS NEVER SOLD

Is it possible ACT stands for Australian Capital Territory??
BTW: It's for sale, please see pictures in the Ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6162664214&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

IRISH

Reaction score
It looks more like an American bottle than an Aussie one, I haven't heard of that company but the A.C.T. is a long way from here [;)] .
It also looks a bit old to be from Canberra, as far as I'm aware there is only a Codd or two from the ACT here.

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day

I tend to agree with Irish - the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) didn't really come into existence until 1909 which is a bit after this type of bottle (which looks more USA/Canadian origin); I have heard of a marble bottle and crown seals from the ACT.

Also have not heard of this manufacturer over here in Australia - name sounds more Canadian/American; could the B.C. on the embossing refer to British Columbia?

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

143Tallboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! I did a quick search on the net for acronyms and Australian Capital territory was the only one I could find for ACT.
I thought perhaps it could be B.C. as well, but the more I thought about it and with input from other collectors I began to think it was more likely Brewing Company or Bottling Company. Most of the bottles over here usually follow the format of having the company name on the first line then the location on the second or third line of the embossing. It's also possible it says AGT, but I couldn't find any link to an abbreviation for a province/state/etc over here.
It's a mystery for now I guess.

143Tallboy

Reaction score
Mystery Solved

I finally have found out about the origins of this bottle thanks to a fellow Ebayer:

Nice beer bottle you have up for auction on ebay. Just thought I would give you a little more info on this bottle for your listing, to help you get a better price out of it. It is from York, PA., and it is Bergner & Engel's beer, which was a Philadelphia, PA brewery. G.W. Noedel was their agent for selling their beer in York, PA. This bottle dates to 1880-1885, and is kind of scarce. I have had two of them in the last 10 years and have sold them locally in the PA area for $25-$50 range. Mine were in good condition but not as nice as yours with the lightning stopper intact.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks,
Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis