Mold Cavity Half-Leaf Repair Marks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello to all of you bottle people. Well it is finally done and included in my homepage as a blog. The subject is: Bottle Mold Cavity Half-Leaf Repair Marks Or you can google "Half-Leaf Repair Marks and get to the article in my homepage.

If you click on a picture of most of the mold repaired bottles - it will enlarge the picture. If you do that you will get a little magnifying glass with an x in it. Click again and you will get still another enlargement. Use the upper left < to return to the previous picture and again to the article text.

I have to give Tod von Mechow and Jim Hagenbuch due credit and thanks for their assistance on this project.

Some day I will get the hang of all this computer stuff - if I live long enough. I hope several of you will tell me about the bottles you have with this repair on them.

I look forward to your comments (good or bad) enjoy! RED Matthews

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Nice article Red. You are so fluent in the language of metalurgy and glassmaking that I sometimes have to force my brain into comprehending. I do love to find a bottle with crazy crudeness now and then. I hope I get a few this year so that I can send you pics.

tigue710

Reaction score
Im sorry Red, but your wrong. There is no way that mark could have been made by a filled repair in the mold. You will notice around the edges of the repair the glass comes together and forms a valley or indentation, like a reverse seam... it would not be possible for a repair in the mold to leave such an impression. If it was a mold repair and the new metal did not fill in the cavity properly it would leave an outward ridge, (like any other mold seam) in the glass, from where the glass squeezed between the repair and original mold. The only way for the impression made in the glass to have been created is for the glass to have been tooled after it was out of the mold...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Here's one I got from john "oldihtractor" ..

01A8BB74BC704841931B71FB6F059969.jpg

Attachments

• 01A8BB74BC704841931B71FB6F059969.jpg
    01A8BB74BC704841931B71FB6F059969.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 116

cyberdigger

Reaction score
..whatever it is! [;)]

D19AA621E6A546738965CA14BB734A0A.jpg

Attachments

• D19AA621E6A546738965CA14BB734A0A.jpg
    D19AA621E6A546738965CA14BB734A0A.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 202

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi cyberdigger, That is a neat one. Is it on a mold seam line? It seams to have welded metal going the other way also. Neat one anyway.
If it is for sale I am interested. RED Matthews

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hi Red! It's not for sale, but I'll send you some high quality pics, maybe even visit you in NYC for some show and tell (I show, YOU tell!) ..send me a PM... -Charlie

KentOhio

Reaction score
Thos are some great saratoga bottles and good photos. I still think that the marks are from fins of glass folded back on themselves. Part of the glass gather got pinched between the two mold halves creating a fin, the gather was taken out of the mold, put back in slightly differently, and blown into a bottle. The fin was too cold by this time to completely fuse with the rest of the glass.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
In the case of this bottle I posted, the mold seam is about one inch to the left of the curved side of the object in question.. the seam on this bottle is barely visible and not of the sort which would typically "spring a leak" either.. furthermore, the flow of the metal clearly went down and around this anomaly, evident from a series of settling ridges along the base, as well as the fact that the glass is thicker on the inside of the bottle exactly in that spot. I have seen "flaps" exuded from mold seams, but this does not fit the bill.. in my completely novice and humble opinion, and with due respect to everyone interested in this topic. [8|]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown