How To Locate A Privy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
sounds nice moving on when there isnt much in em... up here they are few and far between, and very difficult to find. We dig anything we can find since most yards have only one heavily dipped pit. Just gotta go by luck.

I look for the ash, walls or just that dark poo dirt. Sometimes hitting clay doesnt mean anything as a lot of the pits are only 3-4 feet deep, and there is hardly ever a crucnchy glass/metal layer, just the crunch of the ash from when the pit was filled in after the last dip... now and then there is one not dipped and thats when I look for the poo dirt, but the probe has to sink propper. At least most of the yards are solid a foot down here. I have hit a few with soft yards, and those can be tring... the town I'm attempting to dig in right now hias 4-5 feet of fill through out the whole town...

daeldred

Reaction score
They dipped privies down here, too. Most of the times though, if we dig a pit that is 2-4' in depth it is a trash pit and not a privy. If your situation is different then then you just have to go with that. I've dug in Maine and compared to the Mid South it is a different world. Down here we can count on having a cistern on every lot. In maine, everyone has wells, most of them are still being used!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264