Pre 1900?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rich

Reaction score
All I could find was an E. Anthony from NYC with photographic background. Bottle is 6 1/4" high and 2 5/16" wide. 2 part press with blown neck? ( faint twist marks on neck indicate) seams stop at top of shoulder. Is that for sure an indicator for pre 1900?

20B9309AB12B4558A94061DA2BF57F72.jpg

Attachments

• 20B9309AB12B4558A94061DA2BF57F72.jpg
    20B9309AB12B4558A94061DA2BF57F72.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 72

beendiggin

Reaction score
With most bottles that is a very good indicator. Pharmacies are the biggest exception. I have dug a number of E. Anthony bottles exactly like yours and they were in a pre 1900 dump. He had a business going back quite a few years and I think there is a pontilled varient.

Road Dog

Reaction score
Here is a pic or a E. Anthony like yours with a label. There is a cobalt Anthony you see now and then goes for quite a bit. I have a Anthony open pontilled. Only one I've seen in 20 years. I'd love to here of any others out there.

9684A6C4DFC04ACF930EE7895A18967B.jpg

Attachments

• 9684A6C4DFC04ACF930EE7895A18967B.jpg
    9684A6C4DFC04ACF930EE7895A18967B.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 64

tigue710

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I would guess Im known for being a little blunt... Almost everything you just said is jibberish... The bottle and neck were blown in the mold, there was not a press mold for bottles, so there was no two part press mold as your descrbing... The faint twist in the neck and the fact that seam stops at the shoulders are indication that the bottles lip was hand tooled, when the tool for the lip was used it also touched the neck erasing the seam on the neck and leaving the "twists" as the tool was turned to complete the lip.

These marks are an indicator that the bottle was made in a period between the early 1890's and the 1920's ruffly. There really isnt any way to tell if the bottle was made before 1900 without carefully examination of the context it was found in or by searching bottle design patents used by the manufacture. If it had an applied lip then yo could tell it was probably made before 1890, but then the seam would go all the way to the lip.

One of the greater myths in bottle collecting is the myth that the lower the seam ends on the bottles neck the older it is, which actually is completely wrong! For the most part dating in general depends on the lip finish, pontil, marks on the base bubbles and color, but even then its just a rough estimate.

When the lip was applied to a bottle as practiced before 1890 the tool to finish the lip often did not touch the neck, leaving the seam all the way up and under the lip. If you see a bottle with the seam stopping on the neck somewhere and twists in the neck it is a good indication the bottle was made after 1890 or so, unless the lip was applied.

I do actually have a bottle that was blown in an early three piece mold with out a molded neck, but it one of a hand full of bottles I;'ve seen with a seam that actually stops at the shoulders...

The bottle has a nice purple going fo it...

rich

Reaction score
I should be old 'nuf to know better, my knowledge of glass is slight. This bottle was lying half exposed on the bottom of a slope at the SeaBreeze Amusement Park, Rochester, New York. I was directing my wife to back the car up to the slope, as the parking lot was overflowing. Picked up the bottle so I wouldn't need to change the tire. What I did to clean the bottle was "probably" (found the bottle 6 - 8 years ago) just soap and water to get the soil off. Saw that the galss had a faint purple tint, and thought that was unique. What intrigued me was the coloration of the scale deposit on the inside of the bottle. Shiny rainbow irredescent, very thin coating, peeling away in some areas. Did a little reasearch back then and found E. Anthony of NY into photography. Made me think of George Eastman of Rochester. Daydreamed that George was taking pictures from under his blackcloth behind the tripod camera, used up the bottle, and chucked it down the bank, [excuse me if this was not possible, my knowledge of glass is greater than that of photography]. Put a piece of tape on the top, to stop any further rapid oxidation; keep it in the basement, as that is the only place my wife will let me. Anyway, just the other day while walking the dog and deciding to take a new path near the old 'Hojack' line, found a CD102, "Crownded embossed Brookfield glass insulator. Knowing what it was, searched to find it worth "about a buck". Had time on my hands, so went explorin' for some more info on the bottle. Found this site, and have had a great time just pokin' around. Thanks for the info, education, and enjoyment (Cleaning and Reparing forum), will stop in from time to time. Sincerely, rich.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1