repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
Does this base look suspiciously like a reproduction o.p.? It is posted on ebay as an 1850's era flask with a severe crack... Yet the current bid is over $50...

WOW!!!

Ron

Ol31323.jpg

Attachments

• Ol31323.jpg
    Ol31323.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 134

bearswede

Reaction score
Maybe, Rich... But, to me, it looks like those fake O.P.'s on the repro Booze bottles...

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
Rickadoo...

If you have Jim Megura's bottle book (2000), turn to page 302. There (Reproduction Bottle section) bottom left, is a photo of said Masonic/Eagle with the caution:"...some very good copies here."

For my money (and believe me, I'm keeping it in my pants on this one!), that sucka is a bit off...

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
I asked for and got a straight-on photo of the base (I'll post it when I get home)... It isn't as fake-looking as I had thought... Still, it could be a repro and that massive crack!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
The Masonic/Eagle flask Megura refers to is not this flask but the JP variation, I believe...It was made in Italy for Old Sturbridge Village gift shop in 1964 and was still being reproduced as of 1978.. A more recent repo is machine made....and occurs in at least one color I am aware of : a pale blue.
The book <U> American Bottles & Flasks & Their Ancestry </U> by McKearin-Wilson makes no note of a Seeing Eye/Masonic repo.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky