doses of bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4&item=250423636114&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&itemcount=4&sspagename=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BID_IT&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refitem=360145838655&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&viewitem=&salenotsupported

I always envisioned people chugging these big bitters like a Pepsi to get thier daily alcohol ration. This one has teaspoon graduations. You think that was actually used in practice or was it wishfull thinking / decoration?

ajohn

Reaction score
Hey ,if one ounce is good then two ounces is BETTER!And if two oz's is better then I wonder how good three oz's are????

GuntherHess

Reaction score
do any other bitters have dose graduations? Relatively few medicines did and they were typically prescribed in spoon doses on the labels.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I guess it would be a good bottle to have around the house if you're not sure which spoon is a tablespoon![;)]

tigue710

Reaction score
I alwasys wondered about that myself. My bet is that the graduations were embossed on the bottle more as a way of making the bitters look like a genuine medicine. The propritor probably didnt even intend for people to use them! Mishlers is the only one I know of that has graduations in teaspoons, and they stayed on the bottle through many different vartiants over the years...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I wonder about the embossing on the base.. it seems "STOECKEL S GRAD" refers to the measurement markings, doesn't it? Perhaps Herr Stoeckel sold the idea to Herr Mischel?

LC

Reaction score
The Mischler's Herb Bitters has embossed graduations on the bottle .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Mischler's Herb Bitters

I think I found some info on it.

There is an interesting book called A HISTORY OF DRUG CONTAINERS AND THIER LABELS. On page 36 it says " On 6 Feb 1866 , George W Stoeckel of Pittsburgh was granted a patent for the invention of a bottle with graduating marks molded into the surface of the glass during the manf of the bottle. In 1868 he advertised flint and blue green glass round -shouldered and french square graduated prescription bottles in one ot sixteen ounce sizes. The smooth base of Stoeckel's flint glass French squares were marked on the bottom PAT FEB 6 66. In addition to prescription use these bottles were used by S B Hartman & Co to market Mischler's herb bitters."

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac