veterinary ads

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
Here is an ad for Merchant's Gargling oil from the 1849 issue of "The Cultivator"
I need to get one of those bottles... especially one from 1849..

6518C59C68AD4456BA596329328984C9.jpg

Attachments

• 6518C59C68AD4456BA596329328984C9.jpg
    6518C59C68AD4456BA596329328984C9.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 127

bostaurus

Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out how to make a horse gargle...I will have to ask my husband. Maybe it is a secret they teach in Vet School.
Here a 1849 add for Dr. George Dadd's medicines. He was born about 1813. He was a native of England, but came to the United States in 1839. He turned his attention to the diseases of horses and cattle, and became a successful practitioner. He published "The Modern Horse Doctor" (New York, 1854); " The Manual of Veterinary Science" (1855); "Anatomy and Physiology of the Horse" (Boston, 1856); and "The American Cattle Doctor."
At the time anyone could be an "animal doctor". Dr. Dadd was a physician. We did not have vet schools in this country until the last part of the 1800's and some of those were quite poor in scholarship. The schools did not begin to turn out numbers of qualified vets until the first quarter of the 20th century. Vet schools were established in France and Britian in the late 1700's.

5575357891594BDABCF3295BD5E0812F.jpg

Attachments

• 5575357891594BDABCF3295BD5E0812F.jpg
    5575357891594BDABCF3295BD5E0812F.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 124

RedGinger

Reaction score
Cool ads. How do you make a horse gargle??
I guess you can lead a horse to gargle, but you can't make it gargle[:D]

bostaurus

Reaction score
Thanks for the phone tip but we head back to the US in July. Our furniture goes next week. We will be on bare bones loaner furniture for 6 weeks.
Our village only has dial up so it probably would not have worked anyway. I take that back...some in the village have high speed internet. The line runs at the base of our hill about 50 feet away. They just do not want to spend the money to bring it up the hill to the 12 families up here. When there is no competition they are not in a hurry to spend the money to add us.
Look forward to seeing your add. I love old books. The ads are fun to look at and the articles are great. I have one that advises that you teach your daughters to ride. it is so unseemly to arrive at someone's house for a visit and be hot and flushed because you walked. He says it is also good for your circulation and liver.

tigue710

Reaction score
horses dont gargle, thats for sure... infact to get anything in thier mouths you usualy have to use a hose and pump...! then they get very angry with you...

Did mister Ed ever gargle? i think the horse in Hot to Trot gargled in the morning...!

looks in the picture that the man is spreading the stuff on a sprain... probably was just mint and alocohol...or something along those lines

bostaurus

Reaction score
Some of my old ag and vet books have recipes for medicines for horses and cattle. It is amazing what they gave them. I wonder of a large percent of the animals died from the treatment rather than the disease. Actually some of the corresponding human meds where not much better.
Some of the horse liniments had catharides in them. it was basically ground up blister beetle. The theory was that if you irritated the skin it would draw the inflammation out of the joint. They did the same thing using hot needles. they would use hot needles to burn a pattern over the knee. It would, of course, leave a scar and folks would be wary of buying a "blistered" horse. I don't think it is still done but I remember seeing "blistered" horses in the 70's.
Blister beetles can be a problem in hay fields. if a horse eats hay with one or two blister beetles it can kill them. I have also seen pharmacy containers with catharide labels...I wonder if they used it on humans.

I imagine most of the vet liniments did no good and just smelled bad enough to make you think they did something.
In one of the "All Creatures Great and Small" books he describes putting some purple crystals in a horse's hoof. When a liquid was poured on it a large puff of purple smoke rose into the air. Impressed the horse owners but did not a thing for the hoof.

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

Did mister Ed ever gargle?

They abused Mr. Ed. They put wires in his mouth to get him to talk. Don't get me started on poor old Mr. Ed.[:(]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp