Supervised/Sponsored Ghost Town Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ktbi

Reaction score
I copied this from the Holabird-Kagin website. I don't recall seeing an arrangement like this before and not sure if I would participate, but I did find it interesting and thought I would share it.....Ron

Cerro Gordo
We have been working with property owner Mike Patterson on an exclusive plan to allow limited archaeological work in the location of antique bottles on his private property at Cerro Gordo in Inyo County, California, the site of an important mining camp from the late 1860's to about 1920, with its heyday in the mid 1870's when more than 1000 people lived there. Some of the rarest and most expensive whiskey bottles every discovered came from this location, including the famous California Club House and Miller's fifths. The proposal is for an advance minimum royalty payment of $1000 to Mike, which is badly needed for the upkeep of this historic mining camp. Participants can take an active or passive roll in the project, that is one can participate passively by making the advance minimum royalty payment and coming out and watching and later sharing in the dividends of sold bottles. Diggers will be supervised by Patterson, and all finds will be gathered and placed in the historic Cerro Gordo Hotel, tallied by participant. Cerro Gordo will keep 50% of the proceeds, which may include some bottles. The remaining 50% will be sold and split proportionately by the participants. A formal agreement is in preparation. This is an exceptionally exciting new development. Cerro Gordo is one of the last privately held ghost towns, and Mike has agreed to open part of his property to properly carefully supervised digs. There are no accommodations on the property because of the lack of water. Lone Pine is within an hour's drive. Call us if you have an interest. 775-852-8822

RedGinger

Reaction score
Wow! If that's legit, it would be right up my alley. I've always wanted to visit a ghost town, not to mention dig up bottles there! Time for a bottle digging vacation Joe!!

appliedlips

Reaction score
The positive aspect would be that the bottles would be salvaged and made available within the hobby and hopefully it would generate some needed funds for the restoration.It would beat the hell out of a state paying for an excavation and then putting the bottles in boxes in someones basement to never be seen again.

tigue710

Reaction score
I guess you would have to buy anything you dug if you wanted to keep it... I dont know... I would strike a deal at a later date to find the privys...

after re reading the proposal it sounds like as long as you pay your share you would be able to keep/or share in the profits of the bottles you find. Thats is actually pretty cool. For some reason i thought at first that everything dug was going to be sold with profits going to the owner exclusivly...

i wish I could go!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste a millisecond of my time with that win-win for the poor folks who are stuck with that townsite and definite lose-lose for the diggers. It is a fact Cerro is NO VIRGIN! It has been hit hard and put away wet for many years, with very little of anything remarkeable showing up. Most of the rare whiskies that were incorrectly credited as coming from that site, were found in surrounding wood camps and remote mining sites. It would be an interesting and fun social trip, but there won't be anything of note found. At a G?. And have to buy out anything found? Nah, I'll respectfully pass on that deal.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis