The Bottle Bible

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wilkie

Reaction score
For those of you that haven't picked up Michael Polaks new book yet, you can get it at Amazon.com for $17.15. Everywhere else it will cost you 21.99.

3F22122B30A445CA8C8AD4177E650AC9.jpg

Attachments

• 3F22122B30A445CA8C8AD4177E650AC9.jpg
    3F22122B30A445CA8C8AD4177E650AC9.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 114

Wilkie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

pretty book and a famous member of the forum's in it but the prices are useless.
I wouldn't say useless. For the most part his prices are in the ballpark, I called him on one last year which was wayyyyyy off and he graciously thanked me for catching his mistake. No one is perfect. for the most part it is a good reference and his books are put together nicely. Matt's bottle cd is good too and so are diggers books. They are all just "guides".

For the cost it really is a good guide. Much better than Kovel's.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
They are all just "guides".

very true, you should always use as many sources as you can when evaluating bottles.

My biggest problem with many guides is they dont provide enough description of the bottles to separate all the variants. For instance if someone asks me how much is a pontil marked Davis Vegetable Pain Killer worth I'm going to have to say I dont know , which of the 10 or so variants are you talking about, there can be ~$300 difference in value between them.

RedGinger

Reaction score
That's why I just come here and ask the experts. Make that, I will when I find something valuable. Matt, how did you put together your med guide? I can't even imagine.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Digger Ry told me there are about 10 variants of Dr. Kopp's. I didn't know this.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Matt, how did you put together your med guide?

I keep raw data in a Microsoft Access database so its easy to add to and sort entries.
When I publish I first convert to MS Word for editing and formatting then I convert to Adobe Acrobat for the final PDF format.

bottlediger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

Digger Ry told me there are about 10 variants of Dr. Kopp's. I didn't know this.

Red thats just Kopps Babies friend. There are probly close to 50 differnt Kopp varients from york. I had the nicest one at one time, full lable contents and box sold it for 600 but it had the magical work canibus as an ingredient

Digger Ry

glass man

Reaction score
THE TROUBLE WITH MIKE'S BOOKS AND KOVELS IS NOT ONLY PRICES CAN BE OFF,BUT THEY GIVE SUCH A SMALL SMATTERING OF EACH CATOGORY AND WILL LIST A BOTTLE THAT IS WORTH $1000 ,BUT WON'T EXPLAIN THAT BOTTLE IS LISTED AT THAT BECAUSE OF SOME THING VERY UNIQUE TO IT SUCH AS ALL OTHER ONES OF THIS BOTTLE ARE AQUA WHERE AS THIS ONE IS IN PUCE. SO A NEWBIE SEES THAT PRICE AND THINKS ALL OF THE SAME BOTTLE IS WORTH $1000 JAMIE

Wilkie

Reaction score
I just got my copy of the "6" edition in and I have to say, I am very impressed. It is 551 pages long, loaded with beautiful color photographs and wide variety of bottles in each category. If nothing else, it is a nice coffee table book and it is defineatly worth the 17.55 I paid for it at amazon. He has more Western stuff listed than most books of that type, in otherwords this isn't a specialized book but a general price guide of "U.S. bottles" but there is also a lot of stuff from the other coast as well. I don't know Mike personally so I don't have a personal stake in this. I'm just sharing with the forum what in "my humble opinion" is a very good value.
Keep in mind that the person on the thread that is being the most negative has a personal beef with me so take his opinion with a grain of salt. He leaves contrary opinions to all of my posts. Not you Jamie[;)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
If I were famous would I be here talking to you Lobe?? hahahaha[8D]

Besides, Mike put the worst possible picture of me in there.My eyes are closed, and I look like I just crawled out of a hole.But then again, who sees me anyway? I have a blue soda in my hands [:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi