A couple odd ones I need help with

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I went to the Goodwill again today and found these. The first one is a Patron bottle with a giant refired open pontil. I've drank a lot of Patron before, but never saw a bottle like this one. Apparently it was made before they changed how they make their hand blown bottles. Does anyone know when it was made?

ronandjar009.jpg

ronandjar010.jpg

The second one is a gallon jar with an X on the base. It's definitely an old original one. Ground lip and tons of base wear. Does it have an RB#?

ronandjar003.jpg

ronandjar007.jpg

ronandjar006.jpg

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
I just found out that Patron was founded in 1989.....so I guess I got my answer on that. Looks cool though.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi CanYaDigIt; Well your date on the first one seems late for the cold mold ripple in the glass. The chilling of cast iron mold castings got into general use by 1865 and this change [really changed] the character of glass by eliminating the cold mold ripple in the glass Also I have to assume that your estimated date was 1889 and not 1989. The pontiled bottom also tells me it was earlier and so does the hand chiseled lettering.

Regarding the second jar. The mold seems to come straight up through the threads. This tells me that the threads were machined in the mold and relieved at the parting line. The picture of the top also tells me that is was a bursted off finish and the top was ground, though not a good sealing grind; which would have been smoother.

The last picture oif the bottom tells me that the X is a makers mark. These were used to generate a count for the bottle maker income and job quality control. Molds for a particular shop would have the makers mark in his equipment.

Nice glass. RED Matthews

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Thanks Red,
I would have assumed the same thing about the Patron bottle, but the company wasn't even introduced until 1989. Also, I've seen this style of refired pontil, although much smaller, on 1970's pieces from the Jamestown Glasshouse. I sure wish it was 1890s though.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado