question about privy.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

judu

Reaction score
i know a place here in sc that had an old house on it. its in the mountains.its located right on the river..the house has literally fell apart and has now been removed. i was thinking about it so i ventured back there to look around. i found an outhouse that is falling down. i helped it the rest of the way. the dirt seems sandy and the frame is made of wood...is this worth digging?...do i dig directy into the outhouse, where it stood i mean. i dug about two feet and stopped. wasnt sure if im wasting my time. i have never found a privy or dug one, not even sure i know ecactly what it is. should i dig here?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I guess it depends how old the privy is.. did you get any pics of anything there? The hole would have been filled in after they stopped using it, so you're gonna have to dig out the "fill layer" first, before any goodies are discovered.. IF there are any.. a probing rod would help determine if there is glass in there.. if you can probe, you also might want to probe around for earlier privy holes, which had been covered over before this one.. the fact that a structure remained over this one means it is the most recent one, but not necessarily the only one.
Also, if you're gonna dig a privy hole, be prepared to get in over your head, literally. They can be kinda deep sometimes!

Digswithstick

Reaction score
If it is right on river they probably threw trash in river or nearby ravine i would check those places first ,seems that in rural areas they did not throw much trash in privies(not always the case though could be meds and whiskies in there) .Probably would still dig the privy though ,thats the only way you will know for sure ,like Charlie says i would look for older one

madman

Reaction score
hmm id digit but... if ya smell poop .................

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis