New Orleans Apothecary

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

#1twin

Reaction score
This is a nice one I dug two days ago. It reads: B TUMA APOTHECARY & CHEMIST NEW ORLEANS. Nicely embossed with a banner and a big B in a T.
Thanks for looking, Marvin

7A59697C881441D9AA05FE0D4070F7C6.jpg

Attachments

• 7A59697C881441D9AA05FE0D4070F7C6.jpg
    7A59697C881441D9AA05FE0D4070F7C6.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 76

RedGinger

Reaction score
Nice bottle! I always wondered what happened to all the New Orleans bottles in the hurricane. Or, if since they can't bury bodies because of the high water table, how they managed privies. I know the water table was lower then, but still. I always thought about that.
Spelling error, excuse me.

madman

Reaction score
well after the place was deystroyed im guessing the diggers moved in for the kill hmm digger dave??? its really sad about that place and are lovely governtment could give a f*** mike

RedGinger

Reaction score
Who is he? Yes, it was terrible what happened there. If only we had the president then that we have now, things would have been different.

rockbot

Reaction score
Nice med Marvin. I love the tall ones.
As far as Kitrina I don't think it mattered what president or God that you believe in would have made a difference. I've witnessed hurricane Iniki in 1992 and our weather station anemometer stopped recording at 225 mph. We lost a 20 foot long matson shipping container filled with research equipment. It was never found.

Rocky

beendiggin

Reaction score
Nice bottle! Great embossing. On a side note, I agree with Rocky : nobody on Earth could have managed that disaster. Lots of people tried to do what they thought was right, it just wasn't that easy.

#1twin

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments.
As for Katrina, Biloxi was almost forgotten in the news and we still have people without homes almost 5 yrs later. Our 26 mile stretch of white sandy beaches were lined with historical homes. They are almost completely gone.
New Orleans was lost mostly to a poor levee system that failed. But because it is a major city, you would have thought Katrina hit New Orleans alone per the media. Not taking anything away from their loss, as we all suffered here for a long time from New Orleans to Mobile.
Hurricanes are just a way of life here. You either deal with them or live some where else. This is my home and I will never leave[:)] We still have Church groups and volunteers from around the country helping us rebuild live's.
Personaly I have never dug in New Orleans but always wanted to. Maybe one day?
Sorry if I got on my soap box too long[:D] I really like meds from N O also. Marvin

bostaurus

Reaction score
New Orleans gets all the attention alot of it because you can make political hay. There were alot of folks affected other than New Orleans. Even my sister near Tuscaloosa had major damage to her house.
One of our German neighbors took me to task concerning Katrina saying it would never happen in Europe. I had to point out several things to her: 1-every one in Lousiana has known for decades that this would happen one day and local,state and federal government, along with the population had become complacent
2- Germany does not have hurricanes, tornados, ..really they do not have extreme weather unless they get a heavy rain fall or snowfall.
3- It affected an area larger that the nation of Germany. While they do fine taking care of local emergencies I doubted they could handle a nationwide disaster
4-Major roads into and out of New Orleans were severely damaged or gone
5-Here all is placed on the government...they are relied on for everything. She was unable to understand the thousands of people and organizations that headed to New Orleans as volunteers.
6- My final point to her was that 6 years ago, when we first arrived here, there was a heat wave. We were in the 100's for about 2 weeks. 15,000 people died in France, mostly elderly. August is vacation month. Alot of folks had gone on vacation, no one looking in on the elderly and most doctors on vacation.
I think she had my patriotic ire up..but I told her that, in my book, allowing 15,000 to die because you had a heat wave over the course of a couple weeks was more damning than a huge natural disaster. Okay, I too will get off my soap box...
Fly back to the US tomorrow!
Just to tag onto another thread...you have not had good crabs until you eat on the Gulf Coast.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94