Poll: Which one do you buy??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

annie44

Reaction score
Here's the question. You have the choice between two of the same scarce bottles. One is in perfect condition, and sells for $1,000. The other has a lip chip, and sells for $200. Assume you can afford either. Which one do you buy??

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well, I am a shameless tightwad.. I'll take the chip, but if it looks bad from across the room I won't buy either one.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Cindy,....Tough call on that one. It's difficult to imagine 1000$ not being an issue[&:],...but based on my reality and outlook, I'd have to say the chip if it wasn't a glaring fault....That way you have an example of the bottle, and not such a high risk/benefit factor if something ever happened to it....Does that make sense? Joe

cc6pack

Reaction score
This not only applies to bottles but any collectible or object you're looking at, buy the best condition available. It'll increase in value faster than the lower quality item.

appliedlips

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cc6pack

This not only applies to bottles but any collectible or object you're looking at, buy the best condition available. It'll increase in value faster than the lower quality item.

This sums it up nicely in my opinion. Its always easier to get your investment back on a bottle in good condition. I try not to buy damaged items unless it is so rare I don't think I will have a chance to buy a better example.

capsoda

Reaction score
This is a good one Cindy. [:)]

If I wanted it, it would be the $1000 bottle. I have done it when I could just barely afford it so if I had the moola, the $1000 one.

annie44

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I wish that minor damage didn't make such a difference in terms of the value of a bottle, but it does. I'm often tempted to buy bottles with minor damage because it seems like such a "good deal". However, as a collector I agree that it is the "mint" bottle that is the best investment.

potstone

Reaction score
I think for the most part anybody with unlimited cash flow is going to go for the undamaged bottle if givin a choice. So I guess if
money was not the issue I would go for the undamaged bottle.
But this subject has alway's bothered me. I don't think bottles
with slight damage should be looked at with as much negativity
as they are in alot of situations. I know people with collections
that have damaged bottles and the collections still look great.
Look at most of your major museums, you see alot of cracked
or chipped pieces on display.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94