Midwestern Globular Bottle? Help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kimfair

Reaction score
I have recently found an unusual bottle that I am hoping someone can help me with. The research I have done makes me think that this is a Midwestern Globular bottle. It is unusual in that it is only 5 1/4 inches tall, and the ones I've seen listed in auction catalogs and books are either 7 plus inches or less than 4 inches. It has a pontil scar on the bottom, and a folded lip.

Lj24028.jpg

Attachments

• Lj24028.jpg
    Lj24028.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 60

kimfair

Reaction score
Here is another shot of the pontil.

Ax73231.jpg

Attachments

• Ax73231.jpg
    Ax73231.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 69

kimfair

Reaction score
Finally here is a shot of the folded top, and rib pattern. I've tried counting the ribs, but they are not strongly embossed, and I get different numbers, between 18 and 20. I hope you guys can help! Thanks in advance!

Fd92306.jpg

Attachments

• Fd92306.jpg
    Fd92306.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 85

KentOhio

Reaction score
Hi Kimfair,
You've done some good research. Unfortunately, your bottle is not a Midwestern swirl; it is a Mexican copy of a Midwestern swirl. I've seen some like yours before, and usually tend to think they're from the 1960's. Most mexican swirls are the same light blue color as yours, and have very bubbly glass, with the bubbles often being a white color. You mentioned how yours is small, but Mexican copies sometimes go the other way, often being 14 inches tall.

kimfair

Reaction score
Kent - Thanks for your help. As a repro, I'm sure it's not worth much, but do you have any idea of the value? It is hand blown after all. I only paid $6 for it (and later found that the guy gave me $24 change from my $20 bill, so they really paid ME to take it! I was hoping it was a Midwestern swirl, as it would have been the second valuable bottle I bought for short money. I bought a large size cobalt skull poison (that IS a real one!) at a flea market for $22! My wife was bartering with the seller, who wanted $25 for it, but she managed to get her down to $22. Believe me, I'd have paid the $25 if she wouldn't have budged! It has 2 small 1/8 inch chips on the top, but is otherwise perfect. Oh well, I guess that's my one great bottle find for my life! Thanks for all your help!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
KIM...I sold an amber quart repo on Ebay for about $25...Evidently there are buyers for these repos just like for other early repos...ie: Clevenger Bros. glass.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94