email scam?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wilkie

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else besides me has been getting emails from strangers claiming to have a type of bottle that you collect and are asking for certain types of bottles that you just "happen" to have?

I'm skeptical because I got an email last week from someone claiming to own a bar in Scotland and looking for a particular whiskey bottle to display and wanting to deal with me. Then "today" I get an email from a guy in Canada, very similar, asking for for two different beers, one which I happen to have, and claiming to have Jamaica Ginger flasks to trade. Both email had the same "feel" to them, like something fishy going on, and I'm guessing someone is gathering information from our forum here and is working on some kind of scam. Am I paranoid? I really think someone is trying to scam me. The one last week I simply wrote back and said, sorry, I can't help you. Today I answered and asked for pictures of what he has and asked him to tell me a little bit about himself, including how he got my name and email address and how he knew I was interested in Jamaica Ginger bottles. I'm sure he got the information from "here".

glass man

Reaction score
KINDA SCARY TIM THAT SOME "STRANGER OR STRANGERS" KNOW YOU COLLECT BOTTLES AND EVEN JAMAICA GINGERS! I WOULD BE VERY,VERY WEARY
! AIN'T TRYING TO FREAK YOU OUT,BUT.... BE CAREFUL,SEEMS SOME STRANGERS KNOW A LITTLE MORE THEN THEY SHOULD UNLESS YOU HAVE SENT OUT THE WORD IN A LOT OF PLACES THAT YOU COLLECT ! HARD TO KNOW IS IT BETTER TO JUST PUT THEM UNDER SPAM ,NOT TALK TO THEM AT ALL OR WHAT TO DO! GEEZ I WOULD BE VERY PARINOID IF PEOPLE I DID NOT KNOW OR HAD ANY CONTACT WITH THEMSELVES OR THROUGH SOMEBODY I KNEW STARTED ASKING ABOUT BOTTLES! BE CAREFUL FRIEND. THANKS FOR BRINGING THIS UP! IF I GET ANY EMAILS LIKE THIS I WILL POST IT ALSO! HOPE IT AIN'T COMING FROM HERE! JAMIE

Wilkie

Reaction score
Yeah, Jamie, I agree. I'm usually skeptical anyway and even more so in a situation like this where the emails were unsolicited, showing up out of the blue like that. I have only posted my collecting preferences in a few places, here and one or two other bottle sites, even an ad or two in the bottle magazines. The magazine ads were several years ago though. I'm just going to assume someone is working on a scam and ignore any more emails I get from them.

I am curious if anyone else has gotten similar emails.

ktbi

Reaction score
None here either Tim, but I have heard that eBay scammers will watch to see if you have a buying preference and hit you with an email like you received. That could be one other source for their information....Ron

appliedlips

Reaction score
I run an add on Digger Odell's site and it generates a ton of emails from all over the world offering the exact bottles I am looking for. Delete,Delete,Delete.

athometoo

Reaction score
i know when i run a search for bottles on the internet after i post here they show up in the search with a link to this forum . when someone is searching for a bottle and types it in the forum post shows up . maybe thats another way of whoever is looking for you . i still would be very cautious though and ask for their bottles to be received by you before any trading is done on your part . sam

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
It might be a good idea to send them a bunch of money or give them your bank routing numbers in case they have any good bottles. [:'(]

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I have received emails like this from time to time over the years, they seem to appear after I have placed wanted/for sale ads and included my email addy.
Not to mention all the bankers/generals/businessmen granddaughters who need to move millions into my bank account.....

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I'VE BEEN EXPECTING A PACKAGE FROM A FORUM MEMBER THAT I KNOW WAS SENDING IT BY U.S. MAIL I GOT Two EMAILS STATING THAT UPS TRIED TO deliver a package but there was a problem with the address . when i hit reply up popped a totally different address . i just wrote that i didn't expect anything and not to e-mail me back . two days later i got a notice that my answer was undeliverable address .junked and deleted the mess.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis