Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Graf

Senior Member Bottle Master

RE: John Graf

This one has a tall base with long sloping shoulders.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCA10E9DE06648A59B98C6706F5AD6FE.jpg  

Note that the facets on the mug base have reverse arches on this one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7C5EA3706C8F4B69B4D8B57EB5D137EF.jpg  

Some of the earliest (post hutchinson) crowns continued with these reverse arches. These look short and squat - just like hutches except that the neck was elongated to accomodate the crown cap. At right, the bottle has the word "CO" added below "JOHN GRAF". The company designation began in 1914.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8AE58DE31F214C36AC723FF163384FD3.jpg  

I think that the previous bottles eventually evolve into this more attractive design.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A6C81F6ABEB14A4D88ED8CF823EE65B2.jpg  

Here is a John Graf beer glass. I has a slight diamond pattern to it. This one advertises weiss beer with a date of 1889. I found this fairly early in my hobby and up until then I thought that all Grafs were root beers. When I saw the glass, the amber blobs started making more sense.

There are similar glasses with other dates and some even come in amber shades. Very highly sought after!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F921BDA2FBF94271989E93BDEBAD341F.jpg  

Another interesting thing about the glass is that the advertising on the bottom is backwards so that you can read it whilst tipping the glass to drink from it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3929186E4C694A8493F91A6E419BFC65.jpg  

Bob, this is a super thread, i really appreciate all of this info, and all the great bottles!! I love the six-sided mug bases!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

Thanks Charlie! I hope to keep adding to this post but I am slowing down now.

ORIGINAL: blobbottlebob

Here is a 1930s deco soda with an embossed Zeppelin on it. The bottle is tall and slender with the dirigble visible on each side. It has ribs going the length of the airship, little fins at the back and weights (or bombs?) on the outside edges. The ships have a pebbled texture.

I'm guessing that Graf took some pride in the airships in their heyday becauseĀ*of his German heritage. Obviously, these were popularĀ*before the Hindenburg disaster in 1937.

VERY NICE THREAD! THERE IS A 30S-40S DUMP HERE IN TOWN WHERE THESE CAN BE DUG. WHAT IS THE VALUE OF A MINT OR NEAR MINT ONE OF THESE? JAMIE

Thanks Jamie. I've have seen them locally at antique shops for $100 but they never go anywhere. My guess at fair market value is around $15-20 with a bonus for super mint condition. The most I've ever sold one for is about $35 (but it was a few years ago when the market was better). There is almost always interest in them and I have never sold one for less than $10. If you'd like, I'll throw one up on the bay and we'll know the current fmv.