Cleaning a Sick Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
I have a bottle I would like to clean up a bit. I'm not looking to remove all the sickness or tumble it. I do like the patina, and the bottle is clean, I just wondered what would be a good product or cleaning method to use on it to clear it up a little. Thanks. Guess I should know the answer by now, but most of the bottles I dig aren't from a privy, so they're not sick. Thanks.

Just Dig it

Reaction score
i use sand and or pebbles and some clr.since im daddy i also get all the wire handle baby bottle cleaners..my answers are by no means professional..but it works for me...

RedGinger

Reaction score
I've heard of using cat litter as well. I know this gets it clean, but it also removes sickness?

RedGinger

Reaction score
CLR! I have some of that! I didn't see that at first in your post. I will go try it now and report back.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I tried the CLR. I was afraid to leave it in too long thinking it might look worse (hazy). I can always do it again. How long do you let it soak? It does look a bit more sparkly, but still sick. Just shiny sick lol.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Always hesitant to let a good secret out, but this will definitely work. You will need:

1 Severed Fledgling Finger

2 spoons Ablepsia

1 egg of Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva

13 Trichechus Inunguis Whiskers

1 pint Blood of the Undead

30 Nightmare Larvae

200 Dead Spiders

12 inch root of Spreading Dogbane

25 drams extract Amaryllis Belladonna

whole Eastern Whorled Milkweed

1 bouquet Spotted Water Hemlock

Mix ingredients in a copper cauldron over smoldering white cedar embers, stirring.. remove from heat and throw the bottle in. Let it soak in the preparation for an entire moon phase..

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I'm doing some experimenting - I'll let you know how it works out - until then, I'm keeping it to myself in case it causes more harm than good[8|]... If you have a dremel tool, I use a felt wheel and this green polish stuff - can't remember the name - helps clean it up somewhat, especially if it's minor sickness. It also polishes up acl's pretty well, as long as the paint is good. This will help the outside of the bottle - inside - can't help you too much... maybe copper and The Works? Do you have any copper wire that you dug & can cut up?

RedGinger

Reaction score
Um, I haven't dug any copper wire. Ever. LOL Thanks for the tips. I would like to know if leaving it in CLR will hurt it.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
No way CLR will hurt glass..no way!I found to have SOME cleaning ability, and have let CLR sit in a bottle for 2 weeks with no results, but it definitely has no adverse effect on glass, Laur.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. The only thing will be trying to scrub out the inside. I'll see what I can use for that. Wish I had taken a before picture! I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I am already really happy with the bottle. I love it, but it is fun experimenting. Maybe I'll come up with the next great cleaning method![:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown