Cleaning a Sick Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
As soon as you get a hand-full of cut copper, you will never scrub again.. you will shake, but shaking is more fun than scrubbing! [;)] I have some extra, let me know if you're interested..

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I guess you need to find a newer dump! Once a year, we recycle copper & brass junk we dig & make about $50-$75 from it.
From the sound of what you're cleaning, this tip won't help, but for things with nooks & crannies or lettering, use a battery operated toothbrush and baking soda or barkeepers friend. It cleans out the dirt quickly & easily.

coboltmoon

Reaction score
I have found a great cleaner for bottles and many other dirty things. It is a great cleaner and will clean what others won’t with less work. It does not remove sickness but does truly clean the glass.

Warning do not use on painted items or litho tins. I have used it on many painted ACL’s and Pyro’s with great success. I did have one ACL soda that may have been harmed, not really sure.

Dawn Power dissolver is a miracle. I tell people that God himself made this wonderful product. I have cleaned so many bottles with this wonderful stuff I could write a book and go on for ever singing it’s praises.

Dawn Power dissolver will clean all of this with little to no work.
Cleans: grime, dirt, muck, nicotine residue, rust, price labels, masking tape that has bonded with item, paint, and almost any thing you can think of.

Calcium deposits will clean with work. I am talking about the ones that seem hopeless. I cleaned a nice McCoy jardinière that was 70 years old and had the deposits to prove it.

Will clean dried turpentine with great difficulty.

Will clean old wooden advertising boxes. It will darken the wood just a tad. Don’t use on the painted label. I got a 100 year cheese box that had 100 years of grime to prove its age. I used Dawn power dissolver and it looked like it was cared for the last 100 year. Before the box was clean I was sure it was a lost cause. The box cleaned in less than two minutes.

The most amazing thing I cleaned was permanent magic marker from glossy cardboard.

A good assortment of bottle brush sizes is handy. Brillo pads are good for rust.

The best tool that is seldom used is copper wire, but not cut. Wire thinner then a pencil but thicker then a pencil lead can bend and reach every nook and cranny of a bottle and get many stubborn stains.

If you don’t use a tumbler or acid this is a very safe cleaning method.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
1 Severed Fledgling Finger

2 spoons Ablepsia

1 egg of Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva

13 Trichechus Inunguis Whiskers

1 pint Blood of the Undead

30 Nightmare Larvae

200 Dead Spiders

12 inch root of Spreading Dogbane

25 drams extract Amaryllis Belladonna

whole Eastern Whorled Milkweed

1 bouquet Spotted Water Hemlock

Charlie,
At first I thought that this was one of them snake oil sales tactics from a bygone era. I thought that it would be impossible to use your ingredients in a practical manner. But then I realized, this stuff probably cures insomnia, catarh, liver and kidney ailments, problems of the circulatory and nervous systems, baldness, cholera and contains no adverse effects. It also works as a prophilactic against all profanity whispered by evil pixies and cures every toxin contained in a draft of damp air. Futhermore, it provides a suitable first coat of paint when no other product is readily available.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Joe said, in reference to this thread, "Why didn't you just ask me?!" I wanted to get the opinions of other members. Kind of hard to ask him when he's at work! I like to hear everyone's different methods and I appreciate the feedback.
I have the one bottle filled with water and CLR. I knew my only two options were tumbling and oil, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I did try a little vinegar, but it didn't do anything.

madman

Reaction score
hey ginger try toilet bowl cleaner like the works, let it soak for a long time like a week or more, ive got many stained bottles clean by soaking, as far as the limeaway forgive me but yer wasting your time with that crap, but toilet bowl cleaner is more toxic and you really dont want to breathe it also always protect your eyes and hands, but it worked for me! mike

RedGinger

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I have plenty of that stuff. I will try it and post a picture.

Just Dig it

Reaction score
My pal used to get something called urnex? i belive it was for removing the stain from pyrex coffe pots.. i used to use it on my pyrex art glass collection[:D].nothing cleaned them better.cant be having dirty pyrex naw i mean?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18