Navy Pepper Repro??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wilkie

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250470382788&_trksid=p2761.l1259

This one is almost over. I was skeptical about it because of the color and I asked the seller for pics of top and bottom but he said he "didn't have time to take pictures". I realize the color may be attributed to the water and sky that he chose as a back ground. Only 2 bidders so far and his reserve isn't met, hmmmm.......I wonder why people aren't all over it?

Also, pontil era? Possibly from the civil war? In his reply to me he admitted there is no pontil, I would think he should have stated "no pontil" in the description.

This one just smells bad to me. By the way, I should have put this under current auction, NOT scams and frauds. I do not know that this is a scam, I am just fishing for opinions. I don't know the seller, I have never dealt with him, and he may very well be a stand up guy. I just felt that the auction listing is pretty poor for a good bottle that is genuine and I was put off to the sellers lack of attention to my requests for more pictures.

B5A0DAD5DA294FD1BBE36549C4BA3546.jpg

Attachments

• B5A0DAD5DA294FD1BBE36549C4BA3546.jpg
    B5A0DAD5DA294FD1BBE36549C4BA3546.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 161

appliedlips

Reaction score
Looked real to me, but the water behind it does affect the color as you mentioned.

Wilkie

Reaction score
I was looking at his other auctions. He has another with a buy it price of 200 dollars! These aren't worth that unless there is something real exceptional about it. there is one I see at bottle shows all the time, don't know if any one has ever baught it yet, but it had about 1/2" of the pontil rod still attached to it. I think that guy was asking 200 for it too. Anyway, my point is, he probably had too high of a reserve anyway. I have one that I purchased for 30 something bucks that is a pretty crude non pontiled example but the bottom is slightly concave so it doesn't stand flat. I display it on it's side.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have bought bottles from him and would say in general he is honest and knowlegable about bottles. He has listed some nice items over the years.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I agree with Matt, the rep is good.
But... there are repros on them and very well done. The same Co made Cathedral pickles, case gins and a number of others for use on movie sets etc. The also sold (or still sell) the products on the internet.
These repros were pontiled as needed and you might not be able to tell until it was in your hands and were good enough to know the difference.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
If you search around on the Civil War Reenactors websites, you can find bottles that are made to look like they are of that vintage, for reenactment purposes. There are several companies that retail them, and they are fairly convincing from 5 feet away...

Jim G

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky