New to forum, ? about selling collection

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OkCollector

Reaction score
Greeting collectors. I have a very nice collection of old bottles (mostly whiskey) that is just setting in my storage and I was wondering what the best avenue is for selling them. eBay, Grisliest, etc. I had a booth at the best antique mall here in KC and was lucky enough to purchase these from other dealers over my 10 years there.

I look forward to your responses and appreciate your time.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
Stay away from eBay. I've been a member for many years and had a 100% rating until several months ago. I had a buyer from Canada and bid on a $5.00 book that I offered for United States bidders only. Well, I figured I would eat some of the postage (was $3.00) so I sold it to him. Then a few days afterward, he wrote a negative to me because he claims he never received the book, but the package had arrived. I asked him 3 simple questions about the package and he never answered me. Because a buyer can leave negative remarks, but a seller isn't allowed to, I wrote a positive in a very negative way, so anyone could clearly read it as a negative. Several others had given him negatives in one way or another. Anyway, his 1 negative remained on my account, but my "positive" was removed. Anyway, my communication with eBay was never answered. I had always supported eBay until this incident, so, I repeat, stay away from eBay.

OkCollector

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand about ebay. I stopped years ago when they started changing their policies including about taking paypal. I still buy from there from have not sold for a while and I have a great seller rating and have been there since 1998 under the same seller ID.

I think I will post some photos here in the next few days and maybe you folks can give me some advice & direction.

Thanks!

LC

Reaction score
Welcome OkCollector , post pictures of your bottles on the forum along with the price you want to get out of them . If your prices are fair You may be surprised as you may sell some on here .

Poison_Us

Reaction score
There are also a number of on-line auctions that are strictly for antique bottles and glass. But it would be a good start to get an idea of what you have before you go throwing them out there. And here is a great place to do that.

OkCollector

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas. I will get some photos posted here soon and see what you experts have to say about it.

Wilkie

Reaction score
I have to say eBay is the best place, if they are any good, someone will buy them. If you do 5, the listings are FREE if they don't sell so you have nothing to lose. 1st, I'd post a group picture here, close enough for us to get a general idea of what you have. You may even find interested buyers right here.

coboltmoon

Reaction score
EBay is changing again. Major changes just announced will go into effect in October 2009 and April 2010.

I sell a lot on the bay but I don’t know if I will survive the new changes. The likelihood of pleasing 99.9% is not realistic. The DSR’s is the new rating system to watch. Sellers who get nothing but positive ratings but a couple of poor DSR’s will be kicked off eBay.

In the last three months I have 492 sales with no negative feedback. Out of 492 sales only one buyer did not like my description and left a low description DSR. Nine did not like my shipping time. I believe all nine got there package in the stated time of 10 handing days, but this did not meet the nine buyers expectation. If the rules were in effect today I could not sell on eBay because nine people did not like my stated shipping time.

I predict that just after Christmas of next year many good sellers will be forced to leave. Every Christmas eBay customers order items with unrealistic expectations of shipping time. Last minute shoppers will leave bad DSR feed back and sellers will drop like flies.

I can’t think of another profession or business that has a higher standard then the career eBay seller.

OkCollector

Reaction score
eBay is forever making it harder to do business with them and that is opening up other avenues that sellers are turning to. I have used Craigslist a lot over the past year and have done well and paid ZERO in fees. I just don't get it.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Another rule change is about the pics you use. Ebay now has an opt in/out link. If you don't opt out anyone has the right to use your pics. Now you can't even report them if you haven't jumped through all their hoops. Just one more nail in their coffin.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18